Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD40

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

WD40

WD40, is there anything that stuff doesn't do?

Finally got round to using it to cleaning off the glue left on my car after removing that GB/EU sticker some months back.... or was it years. 

I wonder if it works on bald patches. After shave, barbeque lighter fuel? 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
46 REPLIES 46
HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: WD40

My paper shredder  was sticking so I sprayed it with WD40 where the paper goes in and underneath where it comes out

Left it overnight to soak in

Next morning did a test and there a great bang with flames from the  input slot and the plastic carrier bag used to to collect the cutting melted and smoke alarm went off

Good news the WD40 did the job and the shredder is still working

HD

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Minivanman wrote:

It's certainly an extremely useful item to have around the property.

If ever I'm running low I make sure to replenish - you just never know when it'll come in handy.

It will unstick a stuck lock, but it's not really a good idea in the long term.

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/community/locksonline-top-tips-lubricating-locks.html

Silicon spray or graphite powder is better

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Not good at cleaning false teeth.🤣🤣🤣

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@TTman Is that from personal experience?  🤢

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Lubricate, cos it's just a solvent (hence why it removes stickers, cheaper just to buy a spray bottle of 99.% Isopropyl Alcohol!!!) with a light oil that is as much use as a chocolate fireguard... 😋

But I can attest that it is excellent at making fire, hose it down on the reluctant fuel and carefully apply a match or lighter, and WHOOMPF!!! You may be missing an eyebrow afterwards, but the flames, goodness me!!! 🤣

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@198kHz My Lips are sealed🤣🤣

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@TTman    Roll_eyesAs a result of cleaning your teeth  ? ? ? Roll_eyes

(with WD40)

Seems to work ok for this guy  ----> Grin

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Never realised there were so many WD40s .  😲

James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Got to be honest i've never been overly impressed with the stuff. Yes i use it and keep a spare tin at all times for when the current one runs out but i've noticed that it's useless on seized nuts and bots and more often than not, it will actually trigger the rusting process to start. I've sprayed it over loads of metal things thinking it'll protect them, a few weeks (sometimes days) later the rust is almost out of control.

Tried plusgas for sezied stuff too. It's supposed to be superior but that didn't seem to help much either.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Strange how things pop up on the day.

I cannot take credit for this I've just read on Twitter. 😂

"I've been trying to open this old pepper grinder I found in an old fella's shed. I've tried WD40 to no avail. I think I'll try heating it over the gas cooker in the kitchen to see if that loosens things a bit. I'll let you know what it looks like once I've cleaned it up a bit"

pepper.jpg

Thomas A. Edison
TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman Hope that is a pepper grinder and not WW2 german hand grenade!!!!ShockedUndecided

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

If those nuts and bolts are really rusted and you want to keep them rather than just grind off and replace with new, then you need to give them a good soak with the stuff at least overnight. Perhaps you do, and granted it does not always work - but it usually does.

Thomas A. Edison
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

I'm sure it must be a pepper grinder because apparently it had 'Stielhandgranate' written on the side. 😎 

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@Minivanman wrote:

If those nuts and bolts are really rusted and you want to keep them rather than just grind off and replace with new, then you need to give them a good soak with the stuff at least overnight. Perhaps you do, and granted it does not always work - but it usually does.

That may well be the case for parts that you can drop WD40 DOWN onto where gravity can then draw it into the threads. Sometimes even if the bolt is horizontal (rarely) however when it's a bolt going up into the bottom of the car all the stuff does is run off the bolt and does nothing to lubricate it. When fighting gravity it certainly doesn't creep in under the bolt head and then climb up the thread. Worse the more you smother it, the greater the river effect - it runs away like a stream. You're best off using small but targetted amounts. EG a small amount over the bolt head so that it sits there and seeps in. A large amount will see a small stream running away from it and then the rest of it will follow - leaving you with almost nothing left to get in and lubriate anything.

The only real and proper way to use it is to move the bolt head / nut a small bit, apply more, turn it back, then undo again then back / forth / back / forth / back / forth, apply more WD40 (or whatever), repeat the back / forth thing. Takes hours on real pig jobs. I once had 3 bolts to undo under the rear subframe - all were completely seized. I literally managed to turn them about 2-3 degrees and that was it. Squirted in WD40, did the back and forth thing. I'd say i eventually managed to turn each one an extra few degrees every 5 or so minutes. As i managed to undo it more, it gave me more thread to lubricate to carry the WD40 back up into the rusted up thread when i tightened it back up again. Eventually there was enough up there that i could undo each bolt successfully (and consequently smothered in grease before they went back in). Each bolt took me around 1-2 hours and yes my arms were physically exhausted afterwards. Unfortunately though that technique only works for nuts n bolts you can actually move slightly. If they're seized so solid that they won't even move with a breaker bar (and decide to round off if you're really lucky like me) then you're completely stuffed.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!