cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voter registration extension.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Voter registration extension.

You may have seen the article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36476176 regarding this, now has it not occurred to anyone that those that have not registered are simply not that interested? The implication here is that they didn't vote in the recent local elections so it could be construed that they are simply apathetic, so why would this change for the referendum?

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Voter registration extension.

One theory is that it's not that they aren't interested, it's that they don't want to be on a government's list of people's names and addresses, after all, there are people who see conspiracy in the middle of a ring donut so tend to steer clear of being on registers... Grin

Or they're just lazy...

Community Veteran

I agree that some may well think that way but are there really that many tinfoilists in the UK?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do you want a person who cannot be bothered to promptly register to vote to be voting on the future of this country?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My understanding of this is that there was as system glitch hence the extension.

Community Veteran

@Steve - Indeed there was but it was only for a couple of hours, so by rights any extension should be no more than the outage time, so is it really worth it. Or are the Government simply panicking that the majority of 'In' voters aren't registered yet!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Mook I agree the extension should be for the time it was out of action. Without the true story we can only speculate. The government have been panicking for weeks, have you seen all the infighting? lol

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

I agree that some may well think that way but are there really that many tinfoilists in the UK?

Dunno, they refuse to be counted... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If the Remain crowd were confident of a win they'd be strongly opposing the proposed extension.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

But opposing an extension to the registration process is undemocratic, so they'd lose credibility for their cause whether or not they thought they were confident in winning...

Community Veteran

Undemocratic it may be, but we've know about this referendum for some time now, it's not as if you could have missed it, so there's been plenty of time, and no real excuse not to be / get registered, and those that are supposedly that busy should put down Candy Crush or stop watching sodding Cat videos on UChoob  an gotten themselves registered.

Community Veteran

Oh I agree that it's pretty stupid for people to leave it 'til the last minute to register, I've had my polling card for about a month already, but others don't see it as being a good idea to get in there early and not have to worry about a government website crashing because the last-minuters overloaded it (which the government should have foreseen and bolstered up their servers!!)...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It should not have been extended, if you were that bothered about voting there has been plenty of time to get your name on the register.

I would be more concerned about anyone who was a citizen of this country and who was not allowed to vote should they wish to do so, I am thinking about homeless people who have no address and as I understand it you need an address to vote.

Are those in prison allowed to vote on this issue ?

Also what happens if your postal vote goes missing in the post ? Would you get another set of voting papers and could someone use your lost postal vote ?

Community Veteran

Maybe the government has been secretly counting the postal votes as they come in and things aren't going there way.

So they need more time to bully the remaining voters or to fiddle it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The theory was just expressed on Sky news that the government's advert was misleading and people thought they had to register for the referendum as a separate exercise. The people who crashed the system were probably already registered lol

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra