cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vote in our Poll - Security software

robwebb

Vote in our Poll - Security software

Firstly, I don't see a thread for this topic yet.
Secondly, what type of user thinks they "don't need anti-virus" unless they are never connected to the internet, keep their computer in a vault and don't let anyone near it  Wink  Even Linux users know that they should keep the updates up to date !  Is this one of the reasons why almost 70% of all mail is now spam !  Have these users never heard of netbots and spam engines ?  At least it gives some of us work to do !  Even the Apple community have realised they are not safe from malware and viruses, or should that be virii  Grin
A very security concious user !
16 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Vote in our Poll - Security software

I have not got any anti-virus or firewall on the PC that I'm using to reply to this post. On the other PC's that I have they are running both and in all the years that I have been running anti-virus programs on my machines from memory they have found 2 viruses. One of my PC's is a email and web server and is on 24/7 and it's this one that had the viruses attached to spam email.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

What poll
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=robwebb]A very security concious user !
Just out of interest, what OS are you running ?
If it starts with 'W' then the above statement is a necessity.  I'll just try that again - 'W',  'W',  'Wi',  'Win', 'Wind',  D'oh! no I just can't say that word ! - obviously stuck in my swear filter  Crazy
For any other OS, then keeping your data safe with regular backups is probably a higher priority, unless you visit lots of dodgy websites  Roll eyes
Epyon
Grafter

Windows 7
FF4/noscript
MSE
Common sense
does me fine  Roll eyes
Steve
Pro

Windows seven using firefox 4.0.1 with ADblock and a lifetime antivirus called Vipre, Using WOT with common sense and the option of running my browser using sandboxie works for me Smiley
ps, Where's the poll Sad
Vip3r
Grafter

The Poll is on the front page of the members centre https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html?home=membercentretop
(edit) OR you can click on the big tab at the top of this page that says POLLS http://community.plus.net/pollsarchive/
Steve
Pro

Got It thank you Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What is the actual purpose of this Poll ?
From what I can see 32% of users are using an anti-virus program other than those listed, so how did the other anti-virus programs get into the list rather than left under the title of other ?
It's possible (although unlikely) that a program under other might have 31% of this total making it the most widely used anti-virus program on the list but we have no way of knowing that.
If you want to know the total of users using an anti-virus program it's a simple yes or no question so back to my original question what is the purpose of this Poll ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've temporarily used a windows machine with no AV once.. when i then installed AV software to see what i'd managed to pickup i found hundreds of little things all over the place. From cookies to .dll files containing trojans to keyloggers etc. I'm very conscious of security on any of my systems and that was a real eye opener for me of just how easy it is for even security conscious people to become infected.
Then i had a dabble at running multiple AV systems (which people are forever saying is a bad idea). I found no problems with this at all. If one AV engine picked up something before the others it didn't lead to grid lock on the system the first one to find it locked it and the others ignored it (can't open and read a file thats locked by another process).
If you're wondering "what type of user" i was when i ran with no AV: Curious. I wanted to see just how easily i could become infected and how serious the infections were.
I've also run systems with both Avast, AVG and (can't remember the name of the other one) and i noticed massive differences with what each one would pickup, remove etc. AVG IMO was the worst. Sure, it would detect things (eventually) but it was useless at removing most stuff and frankly the GUI wasn't building my confidence either. Avast.. far superior at detection but again not great when it comes to removal as i found out on my netbook last year when i stupidly didn't upgrade for 4 months (stupid eh?)
On that note i should say that netbooks are a pain for removing virus and malware from. No floppy drive means you can't boot into dos, no optical drive to run a *nix live cd, they're a royal pain in the grass. It took me 2 days to figure out how to get myself out of that scrape.. so if anyone out there has a netbook i thoroughly recommend getting a usb optical drive or getting a thumb drive that you can boot from (and making sure your netbook will boot it) because otherwise things can get somewhat sticky.
Best AV i ever used was called CommandOnDemand many years ago. It picked up everything from joke programs to real virus's that i kept archived for AV testing. When i say joke programs i mean things that make the mouse pointer wobble, alter the desktop etc. It was using the most vicious detection system i've ever come across (and it that was the demo - the full version had an equally vicious price).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
robwebb

Quote from: purleigh

[quote=robwebb]A very security concious user !

Just out of interest, what OS are you running ?
If it starts with 'W' then the above statement is a necessity.  I'll just try that again - 'W',  'W',  'Wi',  'Win', 'Wind',  D'oh! no I just can't say that word ! - obviously stuck in my swear filter   Crazy
For any other OS, then keeping your data safe with regular backups is probably a higher priority, unless you visit lots of dodgy websites  Roll eyes

I run a mixture of Mint 8, Ubuntu 9.10 & XP on a tower and Vista on a 2 1/2 year old laptop...  Prefer Mint, of the above, though.
I'm right at the end of a line and envy people with connections faster than 2Mbps... bring on fibre to the village, let alone to the cabinet  Angry

Meanwhile to security, the faster the BB connection the quicker you catch the nasties  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

IT depends on your geographical location (hills are bad) but have you thought about mobile BB? - see my signature for my typical speed.
I've found it very good and while the bandwidth is more expensive its still excellent for every day stuff.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: robwebb

I'm right at the end of a line and envy people with connections faster than 2Mbps... bring on fibre to the village, let alone to the cabinet  Angry

Villages that have fibre running to them are not happy as they can't have broadband.
Steve
Pro

VIPRE has topped one of the key tests performed by the German security testing company AV-Test. But Microsoft’s Security Essentials was disappointing.
The AV-Test Repair test checks the following areas:
    Removal of all active components of widespread malware from a computer. While the industry average in the test was 86%, VIPRE got 95%.
    Removal of further malicious components and remediation of critical system modifications made by malware.  Industry average was 48% while VIPRE’s was 71%.
    Detection of deliberately hidden active malware (rootkits and stealth malware). Industry average was 76% while VIPRE's was 86%.
    Removal of deliberately hidden malware (rootkits and stealth malware). Industry was 57% while VIPRE was 64%.

Full report...http://apcmag.com/vipre-tops-anti-virus-test.htm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=robwebb]I run a mixture of Mint 8, Ubuntu 9.10 & XP on a tower and Vista on a 2 1/2 year old laptop..
So for each of these machines, how many times has your anti-virus software actually trapped a real virus that could have harmed that machine ?

[quote=robwebb]Even Linux users know that they should keep the updates up to date !
So why are you still running Ubuntu 9.10 ?,  as 10.04LTS is a step change improvement, and 10.10 is a little faster still and the packages are another step ahead.
Although I can understand any reluctance currently to go for 11.04 !