cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Id cards!

skippyonspeed
Grafter

Voluntary Id cards!

If it was 1st April I could understand the news about this wonderful scheme!
Who in their right mind is gonna sign up and pay their hard earnt 6 quid for this farce?
I bet companies would pay a lot of cash for the database, that's if they don't find it on a train seat.
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Voluntary Id cards!

a link would be helpful. Wink
Tyreal74
Grafter

Manchester are being allowed to get id cards for £60 as a pilot - i doubt ill be participating despite the fact i have nothing to hide when its moved futher afield.
if they want us to ahve ID cards then they should be issued free of charge like in other countrys...anyway im turning off the subject now as it really really irks me
James
Grafter

Do these replace passports, or is it in addition to?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Photo IDs are becoming for and more frequently required - for instance I believe that would be unable to take internal UK flights as I don't have one.
Choices:
A passport I don't need as I don't foresee going abroad: £72
Paper to Photo driving licence conversion: £20
Voluntary ID card: £6
Now let me think about that...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

You might as well throw the money down the drain for what use they will be. Some enterprising forger will soon have them cloned so they will mean nowt anyway.
With all the information that there is on computer databases about our lives, there's no need for them IMO.
Seems to me that these days there is absolutely no privacy - even when people have died organizations are often still hounding them.
Tyreal74
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Do these replace passports, or is it in addition to?
In addition to I believe. However the proposed UK ID card should be adequate for travel in the EU
I have to say I don't have a problem with the concept of ID cards and would be happy to have one. However there is no way I will pay for one.
I already paid for a UK passport (twice as I have two actually) and a UK photo driving license.
Community Veteran

be moot if we all succumb to the flu! Grin
itsme
Grafter

Do we ever learn from history?
Why did Britain get rid of ID cards after World War II?
During the WWII the ID card was seen as a way of protecting the nation from Nazi spies. But in 1952, Winston Churchill's government scrapped the cards. The feeling was that in peacetime they simply were not needed. In fact they were thought to be hindering the work of the police, because so many people resented being asked to produce a card to prove their identity.
James
Grafter

I'd happily use and pay for an ID Card, if it replaced the need for a passport within the EU.
StickyMick
Grafter

^ +1
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

How can a pilot scheme be a success without the support of the pilots?  Smiley
http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Pilots-fight-ID-cards-with.5237269.jp
Fixes: 47

I don't have a problem with ID cards for those people without a plastic driving licence or passport.
Incidentally I've just received my new plastic driving license replacing my old green paper one but with it came another large piece of green paper.
Allegedly I have to carry both together. What's the point of that as I've just got rid of a paper one. Roll eyes Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

ncidentally I've just received my new plastic driving license replacing my old green paper one

@strat, Given the current fiasco with DVLA mistakes , have you checked you're still allowed to drive ?