cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volkswagen cheats emisions testing...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Volkswagen cheats emisions testing...

Seems the VAG lot have been very naughty boys having fitted devices to cheat their way through emissions testing to produce better results than they do normally:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34298259
Tut tut... Roll eyes
274 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Volkswagen cheats emisions testing...

No real surprise but whose fault is it?
The car manufacturers.
Or those that set impossible unrealistic emission levels.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

given they could have fitted a better filter to the exhaust system its the manufacturers rather than the clean air lobby's fault.
yes the emission standards are set high (and rightly so) but there not unachievable although achieving them requires some ingenuity and a modicum of reengineering or a better filter and a change in servicing schedules, so instead the company decided to create a cheat device that allowed it to cheat the tests ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

But if it was achieved truthfully at the real cost............
Economics and job losses often results in targets changing.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Not really, they could have done it for less than the cost of developing the cheat kit and implemented it for about the same cost.....that's ignoring the fact other companies managed to do it by redesigning the engine and actually created jobs and lowered prices at the same time.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If they ever impose the level of fines in the US that are being quoted along with further fines in Europe the company might go bust !
Community Veteran

European diesel standards are different though and I am pretty sure that VW cars conform to Euro5/Euro6 here. Diesel engines will have been manufactured to European standards as this is the largest market for diesel cars.
I know in the US, that cars have the same standards irrespective of whether they are petrol or diesel. I think prior to the EU's introduction of Euro6, the US was far more advanced and stricter on the emission requirements.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

VW Shares Crash After Car Emissions Scandal
http://news.sky.com/story/1556274/vw-shares-crash-after-car-emissions-scandal
I wonder if this applies to many VW diesel engines though apparently only to some US sold Diesel cars ?
The scandal came to light on Friday when the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said it had uncovered a "defeat device" that turned on emission controls when a vehicle was undergoing an official check.
It claimed that when cars were on the road during normal operations with the device turned off, the cars emitted as much as 40 times the level of pollutants allowed under US law.
Infinity
Pro

A BIG can of worms may be about to be opened up, not just limited to VW produced Diesel Engines in the US ....
Maybe other manufacturers do this practise also...
The devices are thought to work by injecting more urea – an exhaust fluid – into the car when it is being tested.
This limits nitrogen oxide emissions.
The car detects it is being tested because devices such as the anti-collision systems have to be turned off when it is in the laboratory.
The extra urea is not injected into the car when it is on the road because it would quickly run out.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/21/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-sends-shares-in-global-...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Judging by this - as posted here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138993.msg1270235.html#msg1270235 ; it is most unlikely to apply in Europe
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I wonder hgow shutter feels about his superb skoda now?  Huh
Just the other day he was saying how great it was and the astronomical MPG figures he was getting from it. Now it turns out to be a dirty polluting asthma causing machine just like all the others  Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The smaller engined / lighter vehicles are generally lower NOx producers anyway and don't require Adblue systems (so can't 'cheat' the tests).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

No it isn't
His car meets Euro 5 without any fancy NOx limitation technology which is what is being discussed here and the only difference between the Euro 5 and 6 is essentially reducing the NOx from 0.18 to 0.06
Community Veteran

on a wider issue, what other things have the car manufacturers programmed in that they are not telling us about?
When I first bought a car, i could, in theory, do all setting up jobs myself so felt responsible for my driving and how the car performed. Now this and also automatic breaking et al, what is the car liable to do because of the manufacturers programming of the control system? and what if they have got it wrong?  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

This: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.