cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volkswagen cheats emisions testing...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Volkswagen cheats emisions testing...

Are they using dialup or something?? Or just extracting the urine (and topping it up too, the adblue ammonia derived-from-pee-stuff that is)? Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The Service Manager probably has an 8 inch floppy for the upload.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@AlaricAdair wrote:

I've just booked in my Audi  A6 2TDi to have the cheat software removed. Apparently the process will take 42 minutes.

Do you mean they alter the software so the true value of the emmissions are shown or do they do additional work on the car to reduce the level of emissions, if so what do they actually do ? additional filters, or similar.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I think shutter has lost it.

He's harping on about his car passing the emissions test when the company that made it has been caught CHEATING the emissions tests he speaks of.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles They are just changing software. This will in effect stop the engine management from cheating. They say there is no impact on performance, but I guess they've done something to make sure the particulate emission is within the rules otherwise they'd be in deep doodoo when cars start to fail MOT. tests.

The Audi comes with a feature which lets the driver modify performance and suspension reaction through a (software) control dial. The settings are Economy, Comfort and Dynamic. Even though I have a manual gearbox the change in performance is noticeable. So I guess they have software tinker space to fix the engine.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair

I must admit I  am somewhat confused on this issue, thousands of diesel cars are being tested and passing the mot test every day although some comments made on this topic would suggest shutter was the only one in the country driving a diesel car, anyway the point is this, have all these cars been modified to pass the MOT or not ?

I suspect the answer is no but the government cannot take every vehicle with a diesel engine off the road until additional filters or similar modifications can take place otherwise trucks, buses, would be banned from the roads over night.

This problem is not the fault of drivers or the government who were subject to the fraud carried out by VW, any anger should be addressed to them and not the millions of owners of diesel vehicles who have little choice but to rely on their vehicles.

Note I drive a petrol car, which is less efficient than a diesel car.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Still makes me wonder how VW are going to deal with this though.

If you reduce the fuel (which is presumably the only way to reduce emissions) then you lose power output. That means that many thousands of people who bought new VWs (or even second hand) will not have the car they thought they had if their cheat device is deactivated. It's that or new engines get installed and that clearly won't happen.

We live in interesting times...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

@AlaricAdair wrote:

@gleneagles They are just changing software. This will in effect stop the engine management from cheating. They say there is no impact on performance, but I guess they've done something to make sure the particulate emission is within the rules otherwise they'd be in deep doodoo when cars start to fail MOT. tests.

The Audi comes with a feature which lets the driver modify performance and suspension reaction through a (software) control dial. The settings are Economy, Comfort and Dynamic. Even though I have a manual gearbox the change in performance is noticeable. So I guess they have software tinker space to fix the engine.

I thought I had posted about this, somewhere in this long thread, but having trawled through it, I can`t find it..

I recall having a letter from my Skoda Dealer, indicating that a re-designed, or new, ( can`t remember which ) baffle is to be fitted between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe......  and also, ( I think ) a new controller board on the computer side.

The letter also assured me that there will be no loss of performance, or mpg. 

( I have kept all of my receipts detailing my mpg per fill up, for the past 2 years, ( since I bought the car,)... so if there is any discrepancy in the mpg figures after this, then I will be in a good position to claim some compensation........ whether I get any, will be a matter for the future ! ! ... )

However, I thought I would highlight this, because 7up has admitted he doesn`t know what he is talking about, and needs the information so that he can sleep better at night 

Quote from 7up.......

________________________________________________________________________________________

Still makes me wonder how VW are going to deal with this though.

etc etc etc etc,blah blah blah.......................

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Community Veteran

Thank you grumpy, that was very good of you to bring forward - especially as you admit you didn't previously post it despite thinking you had.

So instead of fitting a cheat device, why didn't they simply use this different baffle and controller board in the first place?

Like I said, interesting times. I suspect something else will come up from this redesign in the future, it's not like VW are known for honesty these days is it - only deceit.

As for knowing what i'm talking about, I never said i know everything about cars and even used the word "presumably" in my previous post. I do know that VW can't be trusted though and I do know i'm not an engine designer. Like you, I just know that bits bolt onto other bits.

Like I said, if the cure was so simple then why didn't VW implement it instead of a dodgy engine? and that remains my concern - that this is simply a coverup for another coverup. But if you can produce your own calculations and designs that prove this to the contrary shutter I'll happily accept it and bow down to your grumpiness. Otherwise you should stop the attitude and criticising me for "not knowing it all" when you knwo naff all yourself.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

Getting personal now.... Don`t understand where you get the Grumpy bit from....  I have been upbeat about this situation since it was first mentioned in the press.... 

Its not MY problem... and Skoda WILL fix it .... at their expense....   Why you have to keep harping on to ME about it, as if I were the cause of ALL the diesel engine pollution, I just don`t understand.

Petrol cars emit just as much, if not more, when not properly tuned, pollution, especially those with old worn out piston bores, that burn oil as well as petrol,...

Take away your personal hatred to somewhere else... and accept that it is something that is being dealt with by the manufacturers (miscreants to you ) ... and it seems pointless to me for you to keep bleating about it as a personal attack on me, at every opportunity, as you did right from the start.

Fixes: 332

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

If this thread continues the way it is going I see no other option than to lock it.

Please rein it in guys.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 332

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

I have had to remove a post that could further inflame the discussion.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Mo....

Volkswagen has failed to fix the cheating emissions software in 1.2 million UK cars

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/volkswagen-failed-fix-emmissions-cheating-8866159

Many car brands emit more pollution than Volkswagen, report finds

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/19/many-car-brands-emit-more-pollution-than-volkswag...

Community Veteran

If we are going to be completely honest, petrol engines also emit fumes that are a danger to our health, car tax is based on the fumes emitted and the figures for those cars paying most tax is quite high.

Perhaps we need to reduce the number of diesel/petrol cars and look more to electric cars.

Those who need to do long journeys clearly need petrol/diesel vehicles but how many people do you know with cars that get no further than the local shops/garage ?

Do you really need a petrol/diesel car ?

Fixes: 306

How about electric cars with a standard battery pack.

If you go on a long journey and need to 'refill your tank' along the way, you call in a filling station, slide out your discharged battery pack and slot in a replacement fully charged one, pay the man and off you go.

Filling stations would be suitably equipped to make the task as painless as possible.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.