cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visits to the cinema

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Visits to the cinema

Must be nearly 2 years since I last went to the cinema.....usually on a Wednesday (anyone remember orange wednesday)

Whilst seeing films on the big screen is much better the price has gone up a fair bit in the past few years but the main reason for my non attendance is my inability to sit in one place for the best part of 3 hours, much harder to sit for long periods than being up and about most of the time.

I put it down to age.. or perhaps it's just me ?

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Visits to the cinema

It's been decades since I last went.

The thing I disliked most was the sound level. Usually far too high. Set for night club ears I assume.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last film I saw at the cinema when it was new was Chicken Run, never felt the need to see other movies cos, funnily enough, after a short while they're out on DVD for a lot less than the price of a cinema ticket... Grin

Fixes: 125

I rarely go to the cinema but will do for what I call 'big' films like James Bond of which I always go to the West End.

I was given 4 courtesy tickets by the Odeon chain a year ago bu haven't yet found anything that I really want to see there. Thank goodness there is no expiry date.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Can't remember the last time time I went to the cinema, I'd guess it was in the 1980's at a drive in!

Community Veteran

Last film I saw was 'Birth of a Nation' about 3 weeks ago. I'm lucky that I get a free ticket once a week with the Cineworld or Vue chains Smiley

Pomity
Dabbler

As someone who loves movies, I try to watch as many movies as possible.

However, I don't go to the movies that often. Only when I feel like there is a movie worth watching, for example movies like The Revenant, Deadpool, Batman vs. Superman (I like most superhero-related movies), etc.

So in other words, movies with either good ratings on imdb or movies that have gotten a lot of publicity. I usually go once a month or maybe even less sometimes. It depends on the movies being shown.

Minivanman
Hero

Last film I went to watch was "Interstella" and the sound was so muffled and mutilated it was almost impossible to watch and the Mrs became so bored with it all she almost fell asleep. What is it with women and sci-fi movies?

A complete and utter waste of my pension, even with that seniors discount. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The last time I went to the flicks, was when I was in Mauritius,.... went to a local cinema with a local friend, watched an indian film with english subtitles.... sat on hard seated folding chairs, in a very smokey smelly dingy cinema, but it only cost two rupees  for four of us !  ( at the time one rupee was worth about 1/6d  or 7.5p in decimal terms) what a great experience.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Last film I saw was the new Star Wars film. It was ok I guess.. went after the initial rush so it wasn't very packed but was still rife with the normal annoyances of going to the cinema.

Best cinema experience for me was going to a deaf screening on a Sunday at about 10pm. There were about 10 people in the entire cinema, there were subtitles (I am a little hard of hearing), noone was talking (they were all deaf so signing to each other) and I had VIP seats which were big leather recliners that were very comfortable. I highly recommend going to a deaf screening if you can. It felt completely different!

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Last time I was in a cinema, no idea, def. over 20 years ago though.
I used to go every week back in the early 80's. But these days the cost is just too high, the movies are carp for the most part and it will be on DVD in a month or so anyway.

When we had a movie sub, (nowTV trial I think) we would go through several "new" films before we would actually find one we would watch.
Minivanman
Hero

Not sure what the closure rate is but they must hanging on by their fingertips. Those posh premier film venues in London might survive - those movie stars have to flaunt themselves somewhere I suppose but for the regions they are just dead and dying ducks. 

When's the last time anyone went to a full cinema. The only time seems to be when there is some hyped up kiddies film on and parents (usually Mums) take the little sprogs out for the afternoon. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I’ve never been to the cinema, as there’s nothing that I’d really, really want to see that would justify the cost, it’s as @HairyMcbiker says, most of the stuff is [-Censored-], and as you all know by now I don’t do Sci-Fi and these new genres of Vampires and Zombie stuff is utter [-Censored-]. (Brown stuff to you and me.)

Having said that, I’ve just bought a Bluray of ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird’, and I’m looking to get my hands on Angels with Dirty Faces, they may have been made before I was born but having seen them many years ago on the telly I want to see them again.

I bought the Bluray from Amazon at a price akin to a tub of popcorn and a drink (£6.25) I can now watch it when I want, and won’t miss anything if I need to go to the loo.

Minivanman
Hero

Maybe you should think about subscribing to the BFI

http://www.bfi.org.uk/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Sorry @Minivanman, I don't get the connection here.