cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus attacks, malware etc

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Virus attacks, malware etc

For those of you who have worked in IT, exactly what sort of software do Banks, large firms and others use ?

Is it some form of Linux or Windows Software ? Is one safer/cheaper/easier to use than the other ?

Never having worked in IT, I am just curious..

Smiley

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Virus attacks, malware etc

It will be a mix of everything from XP maybe older up to Windows 10, plus their Server variants, many differing Linux distros, and Mac OSX. Just like on here.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How long do you have...?

Typically large organisations use a current or recent version of Microsoft windows for their desk top devices. They will have a team, or access to suitable services, to ensure the operating system is kept up to date with corrections (patches) issued by the manufacturer (Microsoft). That team will test the patches to make sure it doesn't interfere with the business software used by the company.

There'll be a process whereby the central team checks that each PC has the approved patches applied. This is normally done remotely. They won't normally let the PC directly download the patch from Microsoft, there'll be an intermediate server within the network set up for that purpose; this reduces the amount of Internet traffic.

There'll be a firewall at the gateways to the internet to help prevent unauthorised access. There will also be additional network servers to scan all traffic looking for problems, such as virus attachments hidden in emails.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@AlaricAdair

Thanks for that.

If systems are set up like that it does make me wonder how so many companies have been affected by the recent ransomware attack.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

They may have a 'back-room system' running DOS6.22 and Windows 3.11, no hacker would be expecting that.Funny

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

When I worked for Edinburgh Council (Ed dept) we had a mix of pc's (XP) and Macs (up to OS x) Servers were Win NT and later 2000/3. Malware protection was non existent and relied on the proxy servers to filter it out, combined with desktop services. When I moved to the corp. side it was Novell (from 3.xx up) with the same.
Both used AV on the clients, usually McAffee.
There was ONE pc running Dos 6.22 and an ANCIENT Novell server for one particular task. (Not networked externally)
Both had Firewall One servers running on the gateways. Now this was 11 years ago so MAY have changed a bit ;-)

The only real issue we had was ONE pc in a school that had a virus that was trying to spread, it was isolated off at the switch so it couldn't see anything on the network until we got someone to fix it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

gleneagles wrote:

If systems are set up like that it does make me wonder how so many companies have been affected by the recent ransomware attack.

There's always some fool who ignores the rules and connects an infected laptop or opens a dodgy email. There are measures you can take against such things, but they tend to make the systems complex to use by mere mortals.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

In my time on IT at an engineering company I implemented an office ban on discs and USB sticks.

I still found people who would take work home on a stick, finish it off on their home computer and bring it back into work potentially infected.

They received a severe reprimand from their manager.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

If I remember correctly, and it is some 10 years since my last 'real' job, all emails were scanned before entering the network, and apart from a very restricted number of machines no-one could use sticks - the facility was disabled by default. In the 15+ years we had a computer system, NO machine was ever infected.

John
Champnet
Rising Star

If one end user sitting at one PC can bring down the whole system then the IT dept has got it wrong.

Community Veteran

And that statement is based on what logic?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The problem lies in that the users HAVE to have access to the network, or it is useless. You can lock it down but Murphy's Law will always bite you when you do.
Champnet
Rising Star

End users are not computer experts but are probably experts in their own fields and the computer is just a tool to assist, something we in IT tend to forget.

It seems to be accepted that most system infection problems originate from a user visiting a questionable website or opening a suspect email, quite possibly by accident.

The IT dept should be able to fully protect the system.

Champnet
Rising Star

@HairyMcbiker We never had any of these problems with netware, gwise & bordermanager.

Probably only had a dial-up link to the outside world......

Community Veteran

The reason you didn’t have those issues back then is simply down to the fact that this type of exploit didn’t exist.