Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Phone Scam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Virus Phone Scam

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres
Just had a call - if it hadn't been in the final GP qualifying session I would have had some fun but I just told him to [Censored] off
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Virus Phone Scam

"I'm calling for Microsoft. We've had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer."

I know what I would have told them, and "shove it" would have been in there somewhere  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the heads up oldjim, [-Censored-], The qualifier was good though, Should be a good race tomorrow!!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) Swear word and potential racist remark edited as per Forum rules

Community Veteran

I had a call from these people about 10 days ago.  I'd already read about the scam so I played around with the guy until he got fed up and suddenly the line went dead Wink
Fixes: 105

I played around for ages telling him I couldn't find my start button, which is true using a Mac.
The one I had tried to get me to install teamviewer which in some ways is a bit more worrying.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

We've had discussions about this before – I've found this thread and I think there's another one hanging around somewhere too.
David_W
Rising Star

Yep, happened to me!  Next time it does (if it does) I'm going to boot into Ubuntu and let them play with that for a while, last time I played along for a while until he asked me to go to logmein then I told him to get a real job.
N/A

Sorry to be a bit dim but where do they get your telephone number from and how do they know you have a computer?
Just asking because my number is ex-directory and am signed up to that preference thingy.
I wouldn't have the patience to give them the time of day but in any case I never answer if caller display indicates an international call.
Community Veteran

Guess they get your phone number from lists like most of the telemarketing companies.  They possibly don't know if you have a computer but simply assume you do.
jmd
Grafter

Also the telephone preference service does not cover international calls.
onlyme
Grafter

I don't answer calls from "International" or "Withheld" calls, I let the answerphone handle them; they never leave a message.  If people don't want to let me know who they are, they must have something to hide, and I don't want to talk to them.  I get lots of calls from "0000" whatever they are, anyone know?
Fixes: 47

That's my position also. Answer phones are a blessing for that purpose.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

looking forward to one of these blighters calling me.  i'll have a lot of fun playing "ain't it awful" while i string him along before asking 'how is this possible on linux?'
Community Veteran

It's funny how some people are still uneasy leaving a message on an answer machine.
thisoldman
Grafter

Cheesy i know someone who's answerfone message is  "im all tied up at the moment .but im willing, try again soon"