Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile, excellent Customer Service

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Virgin Mobile, excellent Customer Service

I've been with Virgin Mobile now for 15 years, and always had excellent customer service.
I use various network providers, mobile reception is poor at times here.
Anyway, my Virgin Mobile has been unable to Send or Receive Texts for a couple of days now.
I rang their freephone number from my land-line, at 11pm tonight, and got through immediately to a very nice lady in the Philippines.
After a few minutes, the problem was solved, involving them sending a service text, after some adjustments their end.
She then rang me on the Virgin Mobile, texted me, asked me to make a call, and send a text to test all those functions.
She was not in any rush at all, very chatty.
And none of this pretend English name either.

Other providers I use, don't have 24 hour customer service.
But sometimes their signal is better at home.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Virgin Mobile, excellent Customer Service

I stopped using them around 12 years ago. They refused to work with those short code things you see on TV where you can send text messages to and that annoyed me quite a lot so i switched. I have a vague recollection of them giving me a fivers credit once for complaining about something though... and back then that was not to be sniffed at!
I've tried three... enjoyed them when they actually had video phones but that was a short lived gimmick and despite their generous minutes / texts / data at the time, i got fed up with the indian call centre, the swallowing of money (and refusal to refund it) and the general lack of contactability if something went wrong and their call centre refused to sort it. The three shops would do nothing to put the issue right other than tell you there was nothing they could do. Admittedly my 3G dongle is a three one and i'm happy with that.. not that its been used for a couple of years but it was a good product with minimal hassle the last i used it. Mobile phone tethering kind of put an end to that though.
I also used to use one2one.. which then renamed T-Mobile.. and I think are now EE. Coverage was good but the tariff wasn't quite so.. although their customer services were reasonable.
At the moment I'm with Tesco mobile.. i'm not a lover of Tesco but in fairness their phone deals are pretty good and the coverage is reasonably decent too. The only thing that does wind me up is that its with Tesco... and when i'm in a tesco store (rare) i can't actually get a tesco mobile phone signal... IN TESCO. You have to wonder how they sell mobiles...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

The other networks I am with at the moment are Orange/EE, and Three
Orange gives me the best, albeit still low, signal strength at home.
And Three, basically because I can connect via wi-fi, using the Three In Touch app.
However, both their customer services via phone are rubbish.
I do use the land-line, but only for outgoing calls, I have had the phones on silent ring for ages now.
I used the land-line phone to contact Virgin last night.
And others, where I need consistent good quality audio.
The last person to call me on the land-line was one month ago. I average one call a month incoming, after a spate of unanswered spam calls.

Out & about, the mobiles are all pretty much of a muchness.
Apart from Three, all are non Smartphones.
Virgin have also always unlocked any phone I've bought, for free, as I have been a customer for so long, and I tell them I use my Virgin SIM in that phone, but need to use a foreign SIM abroad,
But it's been a while since I did this, t&c's may have changed since.
I usually buy from Carphone Warehouse these days, they always supply phones SIM Free.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So you have three mobile phones? Isn't just one that works where you want it to enough?
Community Veteran

Does anyone know of a service which will provide multiple phones for a common fee. Her indoors has Vodafone and I have Giffgaff which uses the O2 network. Both satisfied with our contracts but its like a spread bet or not putting all your eggs in one basket.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

O2 and Vodafone share the same transmission network, you know that do you? Where you get a signal for each will be identical and vice versa.
By multiple phones do you mean one fee for several network providers/phones?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
O2 and Vodafone share the same transmission network,

Believe there is sharing of some masts but not of network
Community Veteran

No just saying, we have two providers and I used to have a Vodafone contract as well which lapsed. I've got SIMs from a Saudi and an Irish provider in the drawer as well  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
O2 and Vodafone share the same transmission network,

Believe there is sharing of some masts but not of network

Announced in 2009, completed some time after that. The whole network is shared.
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2182709/vodafone-o2-merge-network-infrastructure-rival
itsme
Grafter

and announced by Vodafone
Vodafone UK and O2 - working together
In 2012, Vodafone UK and O2 announced plans to form a UK grid of around 17,500 joint base stations by sharing sites. This new grid provides service for our customers and those of O2, while retaining our own independent spectrum, core network and competing services.
Eventually, we should be able to reduce the overall number of sites we and O2 will need. Any new sites needed to provide coverage in remote and rural areas will be built jointly.

So one report form 2009 and the other from 2012, so are they sharing? and it still the masts not the network as they use different spectrums.
Community Veteran

Yes I think so. It's similar to the electricity grid - the "bulk" network is shared.
http://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2012/11/20/better-coverage-fewer-masts-your-complete-guide-to-our-network...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So you have three mobile phones? Isn't just one that works where you want it to enough?

I dunno.. some people like to have numerous phones as they like having different phone numbers for different things - and being able to ignore those calls when convenient.
A relative of mine at the last count had FIVE different mobiles - and getting hold of them on any of them was a real hassle. I gave up in the end and let them ring me instead - which they always would whenever they wanted something from me Roll eyes
Personally I'd just prefer a phone with multiple sim card slots - job done! I know you can get phones with two slots but i've never heard of one with any more than that but hey.. two is enough for work and pleasure right?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: 7up
... I know you can get phones with two slots but i've never heard of one with any more than that ...

Triple SIM Phone
Infinity
Pro

Business, Wife, Mistress !!!!!
Flippant answer, so NOT true.
Community Veteran

Yebbut you can ring all of those from one phone!