cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media

CX
Grafter

Virgin Media

It looks like I'm going to be a Virgin Media customer at my new house. Although the exchange is fibre enabled, the cabinet which I'm connected to is not. It would be perfect - I've found the cabinet and it's 60m away including rise to the pole, and being on a large corner there is plenty of room for its potential FTTC pairing to sit alongside.  Cry
As much as I'd love to use Plusnet, it's not feasible. I'm so far away from the exchange, similar to my parent's house, so back to sub-2Mbps ADSL, with sync drops and issues with weather variations. Even with the potential of contention on cable, I think I'd like a fixed rate 60Mbps (or even 30Mbps, even though VM treat those customers as second class by offloading the stockpile of junk v1 Superhubs) over flaky 1 to 2Mbps.
I don't want to jump to VM too soon. I keep hoping that one day I'll check the BT checker and the cabinet will be announced for infill. But in reality I don't see it ever happening.
9 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Virgin Media

I wished I could get Virgin where I am, but I think it is as unlikely to ever be enabled here as FTTC is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We got one of their boxes here and keep getting nagged about it every now and again with junk mail but when we looked into it the price was too high for us. Besides to be honest, I don't think we'd need it as our current BB is a decent enough speed. I could easily live with 3G internet to be honest - anything is better than dialup.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Virgin, in one of it's previous lives, cabled Leighton Buzzard but went into Chapter 13 about a mile from us so never finished the job.
At the time we were really disappointed but, as we now get over 8mb, don't really need fibre albeit we could get it from Plusnet.
Just switched mobile phone to 3 and get 3G speeds we'd have sold our souls for a few years ago.
As we now stream a  lot we do need broadband via land line so have just taken advantage of paying LRS just under 3 months in advance to beat next price increase.
CX
Grafter

One nice thing about cable is that you can take up just the broadband, without paying for phone line rental (although the cable broadband prices are still relatively high). With so many people already paying a mobile contract (I'm a PAYG cheapskate), that could be quite tempting.
The biggest issue I see are companies that require a land-line number for orders or delivery of goods.
One downside of cable, is the need for a ugly brown box screwed to the front of your house, as the termination point for the coax. BT's equipment is usually less conspicuous. And say what you will about OpenReach, but they tend to be professional and methodical, as opposed to some of the cowboy jobs I've seen/read about from the contracted cable installers. Even the "correct" installations are often rubbish, with little to no thought or effort made - would OpenReach put their cables in a green tube and chuck it under your hedge? My grandma's neighbour had cable put in - the cable comes out the top of the street tee cover, over the low-level garden wall, across a flower bed, through the bottom of a hedge, across the top of the concrete path surrounding the house, and up through the wall. All in bright-green conduit (you know, to blend in with the foliage).
I'm maybe being a little unfair to Virgin. They inherited a lot of the network from the previous cable companies, and have to find some way of getting from the footpath to the property, whereas BT have their telegraph poles or underground conduits right up the front door in many cases.
Community Veteran

I was with VM around 6 or 7 years ago. Apart from the abysmal customer service, the broadband was pretty good.
My parents are with them for their broadband and apart from one major issue (they had an old modem but VM had upgraded so it was no longer compatible) they had had no problems. When they did have the major issue, getting through to someone who could help was a nightmare.
My neighbours whose gardens back on to mine all have VM but they never cabled our street Sad
Fixes: 125

Around 2000 I wanted have a crossover built so we could park in our front garden.
When I checked around the wall to be demolished I saw that Videotron (or was it Cable and Wireless by then) had laid their cable against the wall and slightly underneath. I asked them to come out and move it or at least check that it would not be damaged by the demolishing of the wall and subsequent concreting.
They weren't a bit interested in doing so but I insisted that they confirm in writing that should any damage occur that I would not be liable and they would subsequently rectify. I got my letter. I managed to complete the necessary work without any damage to the cable.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RichAllen
Grafter

If I could, I'd get Virgin TV, cos it's cheaper than Sky, well it is on it's own but I'd have to pay the extra £28 a month for Sky Sports because I watch WWE wrestling so I might as well just keep my full Sky package.
CX
Grafter

Literally just as I've had VM cable installed, Openreach have started working ducting for a new FTTC cabinet to go with the PCP I'm (sort of) connected to. The Virgin installer has done a neat enough job.
Why are Openreach so secretive about which cabinets they're enabling. If they had been upfront, rather than just a few weeks ago saying they have no record of plans, I would have waited and gone with Plusnet. None of the checkers yet give any indication of FTTC becoming available. I doubt that these things are decided at the drop of a hat.
On the bright side, at least I have options should VM prove unsatisfactory!
WTF
Grafter

At my last place, I had Virgin on a 3-play (BB/Tel/TV) for about 2.5 years.  The BB was OK, though I did get occassional issues, however in the 30 months, the price nearly doubled (£20 to £3Cool while the number of TV stations kept getting cut (until it was little different from FreeView).
My mother has stuck with them and has had a load of issues.  The latest one, the helpdesk gave up on her leaving her effectively without a service.  She wound up paying someone to take a look at her laptop only to find that a Virgin-provided upgrade had caused all the issues.
Basically, I hope it works out for the OP but personally, the only way I'd touch 'em with a 10' pole would be hard and repeatedly and on the head.