cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media think I can get 10mpbs on ADSL?

macman2
Grafter

Virgin Media think I can get 10mpbs on ADSL?

Hello,
I know this is not really to do with plusnet but I would love to know what makes virgin media think I can get 10mbps on ADSL, Some kind of magic or is there estimates really out?
Or do they use some sort of technology that allows 10mbps on ADSL?
Does anyone else on ADSL get this report when testing if you can get there services?
4 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Virgin Media think I can get 10mpbs on ADSL?

ADSL1 was "Up to 8Mbps". ADSL2+ is "Up to 24 Mbps" where these figures are theoretical maxima.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml
Plusnet says my current line given my distance from the exchange has a maximum of  16.9Mbps. The best that I have ever observed in practice was around 10Mbps.
macman2
Grafter

Sorry if i was not clear, my exchange is ADSL only no ADSL2+ so i dont understand how they can show 10mbps.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Macman2,
Having checked which exchange you are on, I don't think they can do this. That is unless the supplier they are using in your area has not provided any recent updates to Samknows to show your exchange has LLU (given that it currently reports no LLU).
macman2
Grafter

Yeah I thought it was weird, Would anyone else on a ADSL only exchange like to try their tester? See if you get what it gave for me?