[Virgin Media] - Set-top box server busted

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[Virgin Media] - Set-top box server busted

Hi All
Just seen this: 
[quote="Starview cardshare server busted in Derbyshire"]
Three men have been arrested in Derbyshire on suspicion of trying to defraud Virgin Media, through use of a large number of modified cable boxes.
A Starview card share server, able to deliver subscription cable TV programming for free to the boxes, is also rumoured to have been shut down in connection with with the arrests.
Anthony Ginnivan, Melvyn Howard and Jong You were charged at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court on Friday, after a police raid at Fernwood Close, Littleover, on Tuesday.
Prosecutor Andrea Charity said that 44,000 modified cable boxes were said to be involved, though did not state how many of these had been sold directly.

About Time.  Grin
It is posted on my forum at: http://www.dhea-forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,747.new.html
7 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: [Virgin Media] - Set-top box server busted

it dont surrpise me there based in derby, rough as a badgers arse there
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Update
Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Trio accused of massive fraud over TV contracts"]
THREE men have been charged with defrauding TV giant Virgin Media of up to £40m.
The trio have been accused of importing 44,000 digital receivers which could be made to pick up channels without paying a fee to Virgin.
The Crown Prosecution Service said the boxes would be sent electronic messages from a house in Littleover which would enable them to get the channels.
Anthony Ginnivan, Melvyn Howard and Jong You appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court yesterday, charged with conspiring to defraud Virgin Media of TV subscription services between February 1, 2010, and February 3 this year.

and
[quote="Fraudster’s fake TV cards cheated firm out of £1.25m"]
A FATHER who supplied a thousand people with illegal Virgin cable television is thought to have cheated the company out of £1.25m.

Michael Osborne ran his operation, which supplied people with equipment to get free Virgin Media channels, from his bedroom.
For years he sold fraudulent smart cards that allowed people to watch all the firm’s premium channels without paying monthly subscription fees of up to £104, Portsmouth Crown Court heard.
Prosecutor Martyn Booth said Osborne had sold 1,000 smart cards over four years after finding out about them on the internet.
Osborne, who has a six-year-old son, was arrested during a raid on his home in Lantana Close, Waterlooville, in March last year when police found 41 of the smart cards.
Mr Booth said that while it was difficult to put a precise figure on the loss to the company it was estimated to be £1.25m. He said Osborne had made about £50,000 from selling the cards.

julesandsand
Grafter

You can spend £104 / month on V TV??  Shocked
nadger
Rising Star

What a frightening thought  Sad
Thank you Freeview & Freesat  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm shocked that people can even afford that sort of TV.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Probably show it on their £3,000 plasma set to impress the neighbours.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont be silly, you can get anything when on benifits