cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Pocket Calculator.

Fixes: 47

Vintage Pocket Calculator.

I came across my old Sinclair Cambridge while clearing out a cupboard and it still works (must dig out the manual set with all the programs).
It brought to mind a much simpler pocket calculator that I bought with pocket money.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Vintage Pocket Calculator.

I bought the standard basic Sinclair Cambridge when it first came out. Cost me the best part of a weeks wages. I still remember pressing 2x2 and being fascinated that it came up with the right answer.
I still used my slide rule for a long time as I didn't know whether I could trust the calculators answers.
I like the Addiator on that link. I had a less "sophisticated" one of those that was only half the length.
Community Veteran

Ah, the Sinclair Cambridge - I remember it well.  We bought one for each member of staff when they first came out.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

My first pocket calculator (excluding the Addiator and circular slide rule)  was this.
http://www.vintage-technology.info/pages/calculators/h/hof18f.htm
It was very basic and cost (if I recall correctly) £15 which was a lot of money in the mid-1970s. It lasted many years and I preferred using it to more advanced calculators because the keys had a nice positive click to them unlike more recent models which seem to be just sprung.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mine first was a TI-30, remember buying it in 1976, what a breakthru that was.