All Star
Fixes: 15

Village wide Broadband Disruption

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Re: Village wide Broadband Disruption

I read that story in the Daily Mail... ! ... makes you wonder... "WHY?"   "why would anyone want to switch on an old TV at 0700 every morning.???? "   . when there is no analogue transmissions ?  ( assuming that the "old television" was an old valve set )

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Blimey @shutter, do you realise how old a television with valves would have to be?

Mullard was still knocking them out up until the mid 80's but from the mid 70s 'out in the field' they were very few and far between. 

EF80, PCL85, ECC82....  I could go on. 😉

Great story by the way, read it this morning and it gave me a real chuckle. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yeah, loved them... and had some fun converting one to receive French TV in colour, direct from France.... not via VPN and  the Internet..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Those old valve sets had an external RF emission, that was deteced and used by the "tv detector vans" to locate tv`s.. (TV DETECTOR van ... does what it says on the tin ! ! !.... )

They then checked the records for the houses as they passed by, to make sure you had a paid up licence. ! ! ! ..

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Living in Muswell Hill (north London) in the late 70s I had terrible TV reception on BBC2 (and later C4) being 'behind' the hill and not in direct line of sight of the transmitter.  When the atmospheric conditions were right, I'd receive a rather snowy picture without sound from a Belgian channel on the BBC2 button; I once got an episode of Kojak with subtitles in French and Dutch (not much clear screen left).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@bmc wrote:

See https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/18-months-of-village-broadband-disruption-traced-to-ol...

In this case Openreach detected that, at around 7am every day, there was a sudden emission of Single Isolated Impulse Noise (SHINE)

Well at least it made a change from the more usual REIN.  Tongue

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@shutter wrote:

Those old valve sets had an external RF emission, that was deteced and used by the "tv detector vans" to locate tv`s.. (TV DETECTOR van ... does what it says on the tin ! ! !.... )

They then checked the records for the houses as they passed by, to make sure you had a paid up licence. ! ! ! ..

I read online a few years ago from an ex licence van driver that it was the TVs oscillator circuit they could tune into to determine if there was a TV in use in a particular property.

Clever stuff and back then so few would even know what on earth that was.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up   Yes, that was the source of the "RF".....clever of the tv licence dept to use a "fault"  ! ! !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote:

I read online a few years ago from an ex licence van driver that it was the TVs oscillator circuit they could tune into to determine if there was a TV in use in a particular property.

Clever stuff and back then so few would even know what on earth that was.

Apparently they could even tell which channel was being watched the TV set was tuned to.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Added to that was the ability to determine if you were using a black and white of or colour television by detecting that composite chorminance subcarrier colourburst being generated. All old stuff now most of which I've forgotten, but then when the subject come up it all starts to sound familier. 

It's all in there somewhere, just need a bit of a memory jog to find it!

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

18 months! A shocking indictment of BTOR's "expertise".  😲

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Trouble is with BTOR they're not really interested in anything complicated like most people these days... yet alone proper old skool stuff involving spectrum analyzers and spending real time with feet on the ground trying to solve a fault that can't be done with a laptop and a few clicks.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Champion

@7up General Malaise these days Nobody wants to fix problems, Take a car to a garage with a problem. Analyse with computer if that doesnt fix it, scratch head and give up.Sad