cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Views on EU membership

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Views on EU membership

For some reason there are a higher percentage of elderly people who would vote to come out compared to younger people, this seems to work on a sliding scale, as the age range increases so do the percentages voting to come out.
Perhaps younger people are more optimistic compared to older people, perhaps some of us get more cynical as we get older ?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Views on EU membership

I really can't decide whether we'd be better or worse off out of the EU (I'm very glad we never joined the Euro though).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 104

maybe the older ones have been through it before and had the wool pulled over their eyes and now regret the past mistakes.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

As an OAP, my view is that we put a bit of distance between us and the EU and, certainly never join the Euro!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: NedLudd
...put a bit of distance between us and the EU

Anyone would think the EU is on a par with FIFA Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

nah, FIFA are more honest Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Or maybe older people are still clinging to the "We're citizens of the world" line expounded by De Gaulle (about the British). Unfortunately the world has moved on. We can't just go back to the good old Commonwealth, as they have now developed other markets. I look forward to hearing the arguments from both sides, as well as seeing what, if anything, Cameron gets out of the EU Bureaucrats
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I too am unsure as to what way I will vote, but the No campaign will no doubt be saying that it will make trading harder, that I don't see, considering we traded with the EU before joining. Nor can currency be an issue as we're still using the £, however if we're not feeding millions into the EU coffers then that's a lot of money saved. But equally, the Government will then have to use that money to pay what the EU paid us in subsidies!
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what is said as the referendum draws closer.
Fixes: 47

Having spoken to a few business friends/relatives of mine the general consensus is that we need to be in in order to maintain and improve our trading relationships with the EU.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
PowerLee
Rising Star

Sooner the UK is out of the EU the better.
We will soon see how desperate the EU is to keep the UK & all the money we have to throw at the EU by how far Angela Merkel will go to agree to David Cameron's demands for us to remain part of her club.
Community Veteran

I'm prepared to see what deal David Cameron achieves before making up my mind. However, my gut instinct is that we should stay in the EU.
Community Veteran

Better to be inside the tent weeing out then outside the tent weeing in!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Marksfish
Grafter

Time to leave, i'm not that old really either, mid 40's. Joining the Common Market was just that, countries coming together to trade. If the intention on closer ties was there in the beginning, it wasn't made clear to the voters at the time. The amount of money we pay to the EU every day is obscene and we cannot control our own borders any moe. My Dad has said that if Hitler had realised all he had to do was suggest a common market, there would have been no need for the war, as Germany have almost already achieved European financial domination using peaceful means. (Sorry, that may seem insensitive to some, bit it not intended that way).
Mark
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
a higher percentage of elderly people who would vote to come out

Speaking for myself it's simply because I remember what I originally voted for.
What we have today isn't it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Until the administration at EU Central are cured of Federalism I'm afraid to say I think we should pull out of the EU. Those people want to govern us rather than represent us. The consequence is that the British would be drained to support the minor EU countries with no effective recourse.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.