cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vet Bills

N/A

Vet Bills

In 'Just been to the dentist' thread, community refers to the extortionate bill for treatment for his pet budgie.
I have to agree - the whole thing is getting a bit stupid.
My eldest Cairn Terrier needs continuous eye treatment with a very expensive eye ointment. The first tube (from the vet's) was about £42. Looked on the Internet and located the same thing for £21.99+£1 p&p so obtained a prescription and purchased same. Unfortunately, they would only sign it for one repeat and since then the rules have changed so that they can start charging again to sign prescriptions.
On the counter at the surgery is a large notice saying that they now charge £15 for this service. I duly took the form (completed by me - all they had to do was sign) with £15 in cash but lo and behold, they would only sign for one repeat, even though it is a lifetime treatment. Anyone who can add up can see that if I continue to use the Internet supply company this will only save me about £5 (if that). It also begs the question of why the vet needs to charge 40-something pounds anyway when the Internet companies have it for half the price. I declined the prescription!
We took Prudence to another vet (he too was Spanish and a very nice chap with good command of English). He signed the script for free with several repeats. We did have to pay consultation fee as it was a first visit but it was still cheaper to do it this way. The surgery is a bit further to travel but we should make savings in the long term.
Last year jmdlp had Holly speyed and her local vet quoted £175 or thereabouts but we took her to another vet who does very neat almost keyhole surgery and it cost £80. I think that they make it up as they go along.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Vet Bills

If you are over 60 years old, and are receiving some benefits. ( not sure which exactly but....)  which entitle you to full council tax rebate, JSA, Pension Credit, and the like, you can use the PDSA Pet Hospitals, on proof of receipt of benefits..... these very professional people provide a service to pet owners on reduced/fixed incomes for a "Donation" of what they can afford at the time of consultation....  e.g. £5 or more....
It is a lifeline service to the older people who only have the comfort of their pet for most of the time, and if you have any items you want to dispose of , may I suggest you pass them on to your local PDSA charity shop.  Wink
James
Grafter

My girlfriend has a bit of a rabbit thing going on.  She used to breed them.
She has a blue eyed white netherland dwarf (they're rareish) in my name.  VET costs aren't cheap Sad
techguy
Grafter

Maybe she thinks you talk too much James  Smiley
Joking aside I do understand why people have pets but one of the reasons I wont is the vet bills.
community
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
In 'Just been to the dentist' thread, community refers to the extortionate bill for treatment for his pet budgie.
I have to agree - the whole thing is getting a bit stupid.

thanks for putting this onto another thread ( I should have done that, sorry)
You are right about "making it up themselves as they go along"
In my case, the largest part of the bill was £9.40 for 5ml (yes 5ml, a teaspoonful) of  Baytril which is an antibiotic to be administered orally for 7 days at 0.01ml per dose.
My son told me to look at viovet.com and I found that for 100ml you pay something like £27 or thereabouts BUT you must have a Vet's prescription!
Viovet says that the normalvet's price should be around £37.
When I got home from the vet, I just had to ring the Vet Practice and complain.
The answer I got was that the £9.40 included £6 plus vat for "dispensing"!!!!!!! Is that just another way to make money or isn't it? They make it up as they go along, as was previously said!!!!
Even if you deduct £6 from the £8.17 plus vat they charged me for 5ml, it doesn't take much of a calculation to see that they are charging me the equivalent of
£43.40 per 100 ml.
The moral is possibly to buy from viovet (my son says the delivery service is good and efficient, he gets his cats' medicine from there)and hope to find a vet who will endorse the prescription (which you print and download form the viovet website.
N/A

Yes, the PDSA is excellent but qualification requirements are very strict. Don't mind paying the bills for the Cairns (they are worth it)  but don't want to be ripped off.
Pru's daughter had cruciate ligament surgery done last year and the vet did an absolutely superb repair - bill came to about £450 and worth every penny.
Interestingly, the Spanish vet doesn't diagnose the eye condition on just one test (as was the case with the previous vet) and suggested leaving off the treatment for a short while to see how things went. Have done this and it looks fine so I am going to go back for another test to check.
A second opinion is no bad thing.
Those little rabbits sound gorgeous - wouldn't last long round here though! May we have a photo of James the rabbit please?
N/A

Posted as you were writing - yes, I used Viovet and the service is very good indeed. Also used Vet-Medic in the past and they are good too.
Both reliable and have easy to use websites with good prices.
Vet-Medic have a resident vet so you can ring an ask for advice, which I have done on a couple of occasions.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
She has a blue eyed white netherland dwarf (they're rareish) in my name.

I've heard you called a lot of things, but that's a new one.
Fluffy bunnykins I could understand, but .....      Roll eyes  Tongue
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
She has a blue eyed white netherland dwarf (they're rareish) in my name.  VET costs aren't cheap Sad

Sounds a bit Lord of The Rings to me.
James
Grafter

Hardly.  It's a Netherland Dwarf, which is white, with blue eyes.
techguy
Grafter

Was a joke  Smiley but a bad one I'll admit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: poppy
It also begs the question of why the vet needs to charge 40-something pounds anyway when the Internet companies have it for half the price. I declined the prescription!

On that note, I'm going to start a thread titled 'Contact Lenses' Smiley
Seriously, my optician will charge £48 for a pair of quarterly disposables, when about £58 will get you 5 pairs over the Internet. You're supposed to have had a check-up in the last year and give the opticians details when your order. Idea being of course you don't order something for yourself which isn't suitable.
Been a couple of years since I last saw him, and can't even remember when it was. Fortunately making up a date within the last year seems to work Grin
James
Grafter

On that note, I'm going to start a thread titled 'Contact Lenses'

£180, per lens, per 6 months.
And you wonder why I went back to glasses.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ouch - drop one of those somewhere, and you'd be extremely pissed off if you couldn't find it Angry
techguy
Grafter

My lenses cost me £25 per pair, per month.
Have to swallow it though as they should enable me to learn to drive.