Fixes: 125

Vehicle tax DD renewal

Received a letter from the DVLA
IMPORTANT - ACTION NEEDED
You are at risk of your vehicle becoming untaxed

It then goes on to state:
To continue paying your vehicle tax by Direct Debit you will need:
A TEST CERTIFICATE

My vehicle tax is due on 1st April and my first MOT is due on the 29th. The Zafira is booked in for a service and MOT tomorrow.
The letter also states that:
If you get this in place by the date the vehicle tax runs out, your Direct Debit will automatically renew...

Does that mean that an MOT test pass means that I don't actually have to inform the DVLA? It reads that way but just wanted to be sure Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Vehicle tax DD renewal

MOT's are all recorded online these days.
But how good the DVLA Road Tax systems are at picking up a very recent test would be interesting to know.....  Undecided
One reason I have deliberately taxed both our cars for a 6-month period at one stage, just to decouple Tax and MOT.  Wink

Quote from: HPsauce
MOT's are all recorded online these days.
But how good the DVLA Road Tax systems are at picking up a very recent test would be interesting to know.....   Undecided

Good point.
The Direct Debit is still showing as active but payments are due on the 1st of the month so if it auto-cancels on 31st March because their systems haven't caught up I could be in lumber. Can't seeing it failing tomorrow so once passed I will contact them to see what happens.
My insurance is due on the 29th of March, too, but I have already renewed that Cool

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Insurance can be another problem with DVLA because it will only have a record of the current insurance.
Once that expires and the new contract (renewal to you) comes into force you can tax.
But, last time I tried you couldn't tax online when your insurance renewed between the date you applied and the date the tax started. Stupid, but you can sort of see why (useless systems basically). Had to go to the PO with all the paperwork.
Another reason to keep the dates well apart - tax, insurance, MOT.  Crazy

I don't think I had that problem when I set up the DD for vehicle tax last year in early March with my insurance due for renewal at the end of March.

Community Veteran

Probably allowed you to set up the DD without checking everything and by the time it did your tax the renewal had been recorded and was live so it just got processed.
Fingers crossed on that aspect. Wink

Cheers.
Will report back in due course with an update Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I always renew the road tax for both of my cars online these days. Its around a five minute drive from the MoT garage to home, by the time I've paid the garage bill and driven home the new MoT is in force.
It can be checked on this DVLA web link: https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/Default.aspx
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Thanks, Petlew, that's good to know Smiley

MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Petlew
I always renew the road tax for both of my cars online these days. Its around a five minute drive from the MoT garage to home, by the time I've paid the garage bill and driven home the new MoT is in force.

It's even quicker than that - the MOT status is updated centrally as a result of the tester declaring a pass or fail and hence is immediate. The only exception to this is if the service is down in which case contingency measure kick in to allow the MOT station to carry on testing.

Too tired when I got in last night to check but this morning the MOT pass is showing using the link supplied by Petlew.
The Direct Debit appears to still be active on my bank account but will check again in a few days.
The guy at the Vauxhall Service Centre said that if you try to set up a direct Debit with 5 days of the MOT pass that there can be problems but as the DD was already sup up since last March I am hoping that all will be good Cool

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
The guy at the Vauxhall Service Centre said that if you try to set up a direct Debit with 5 days of the MOT pass that there can be problems

If they used Plusnet's billing system that'd be at least 10 days.  Grin  Lips are sealed
[/coat]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
If they used Plusnet's billing system that'd be at least 10 days.   Grin  Lips are sealed
[/coat]
Err, no! 10 WORKING days (minimum).  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, allowing for Easter, a good 2-1/2 weeks?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Received an email from the DVLA this morning confirming that the DD has been set up. The date has changed from the 1st to the 14th of the month but there is a note telling me I do not have to wait till the first payment to drive my car.
I will see if I can get the date changed back to the first.
Edit: the first payment is on the 14th April but the remaining 11 are on the first working day of subsequent months Cool