cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegans and Vegetarians, You don't want those fivers!

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Vegans and Vegetarians, You don't want those fivers!

Those fivers you don't want. I respect their preference not to eat animal products, but what some are up in arms about seems OTT. Do they think to consider everything, whether it may be corrupted by contact with animal matter?  And reject it!

I also expect that other notes could be bad, though containing nothing animal.

Get on with it. Folk have to accept a lot they don't like. That's life!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
22 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Vegans and Vegetarians, You don't want those fivers!

Madness. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Excluding those people who need to be on a specific diet or range of foods due to health reasons I wonder what those who have all these fads about foods would do if they did not have an option on what foods were available, would they still refuse to eat what was available or would they choose to starve ?

I do not recall anyone other than diabetics being on any fancy diets when I was a young lad, I have eaten all sorts of stuff and I am still here, perhaps the problem is that there is too much choice !

There are millions who would like the chance of being given almost any type of food.

Luzern
Pro

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a deb...

That £3.50 sandwich is going to fget quite expensive, if they offer a tenner in payment.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Oh please - why are these crazy minorities allowed to disrupt the majority? I accept their right to eat what they want, but to complain about a miniscule amount of animal product in a SEALED packet?Huh

John
JayG
Aspiring Pro

Quite amazed to discover that an ingredient derived from suet is required to manufacture something made from plastic, but having discovered that it is actually used as 'a lubricant', at least I now understand why £5 notes slip through my fingers so easily! Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

14938221_1170137689746611_8499909261085855036_n.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

a little data as to how much there actually is

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-very-precise-calculation-of-exactly-how-many-cows-are-being-murdere...

Tallow is rendered cow or mutton fat, but for the sake of argument let's go with cows here.
How much do cows weigh? Between 1,100kg for a male (bull) and 720kg for a female. So, on average, a cow weighs 910kg.
The body fat content of an average cow is 25 percent. Therefore, the amount of fat in an average cow's body is 227.5kg.
How many kilograms of this fat is contained in offcuts you could use to make tallow? About 40kg, according to a man at the James Elliott butcher in Islington.
How much tallow is used in one note, according to the Bank of England? "A trace", which chemically means less than 100 parts per million, or 0.01 percent. A polymer consultant I called confirmed that the tallow present in a given polymer would be a fraction of a single percentage.
New £5 notes weigh 0.7g, therefore there is roughly 0.00007 g of tallow present in one £5 note.
How many fivers are in circulation now, and therefore will be around by May of 2017, when all the old paper ones have been phased out? 329 million notes.
To work out how much tallow will be used in total in all of these fivers, we need to multiply 0.00007g by 329 million, which gives us 23,030g, or 23kg.
And if you get about 40kg of tallow-worthy fat from the average cow, how many cows would you need to make every single £5 note in circulation?

JUST OVER HALF OF ONE COW

Fixes: 47

That puts it into perspective nicely Grin

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, I also get the feeling that like so much else these days even those that would think or dare to talk about such things would be condemned - or at least be obliged to stay silent. 

What a nasty little conformist world we are entering where you cannot even say boo to a goose..... let alone eat it. 

Minivanman
Hero

Just so long as we don't put cow and pig fat on our gunpowder cartridges! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857

Community Veteran

I'm a vegetarian, but I live in the real world. Crazy3

Luzern
Pro

@HPsauce Can we assume by your chosen alias, that the product contains no trace of any animal product?Wink

B of E is doing the PC thing. Oh dear! Nice to know that there is at least one sensible vegetarian around,

Community Veteran

Being a meat eater I aim to insist and stamp my feet until they make fivers smell of roast beef,

And a tenner should smell of pork scratchings.

Community Veteran

Luzern wrote:

@HPsauce Can we assume by your chosen alias, that the product contains no trace of any animal product?Wink

No idea, don't care. Which should be obvious from my previous post. Funny