cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaping Age Limit

Fixes: 47

Vaping Age Limit

I went into town yesterday on the top deck of a double decker bus.
The bus stopped to let off some passengers.
Beside the bus stop was an e-cigarette shop.
The bottom 2/3 of the shop window were obscured by advertising but being on the top deck of the bus I could see inside.
What I saw inside were 3 boys aged around 13, each puffing on an e-cigarette.
I could tell they weren't just playing at it as I could see the light on each e-cig come on and the boys blowing vapour out of their mouths.
Speaking later in the day to a friend who manages one of these type of shops, there is no law regarding an age limit on usage of these devices.
Personally I was shocked at what I saw....am I overreacting?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Vaping Age Limit

i don't think you are.
was announced in early 2014 to ban them for under 18's but not sure if it came in.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Fixes: 125

It's not a good look when you see kids emerging from school with a cigarette in hand - whether real or e.cig.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In my vantage point in the driving seat of a school coach i get to see this sort of thing going on. I see the same two girls rush out to a place just outside the school boundary, dive into their handbags and pull out a packet of cigarettes light and start dragging on them as deeply as if they had been deprived of the weed for a month. If there's a teacher about and I can catch their eye, I will point them out, but its usually met with a shrug of the shoulders, there's not a lot they can do when they're off the premises, Some will speak to them maybe to tell parents, but in some cases I suspect they already know.
Their age, ah around year 7 or 8, 11 to 13.
Over the years I have had smokers on the coach, but its quite rare, but I do occasionally find cigarette packs on the floor when I walk round after the run, the cleaners tell me from time to time they find rolling tobacco and papers stuffed behind seat cushions, hoping I expect they can be retrieved the following morning. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
Personally I was shocked at what I saw....am I overreacting?

At least they're not snorting cocaine in public... Grin
Community Veteran

With fags about to appear in plain packets e-cigs will become far more of a "fashion statement".
Look at the fancy colourful designs.
This is alco pops all over again.
Community Veteran

Except alcopops caused kids to drink and become alcoholics, vaping gets people off smoking the benzine and plutonium in tobacco so they can breathe properly again... Grin
Community Veteran

e-cigerettes should be banned Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
vaping gets people off smoking

Except with children it may be leading into smoking.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

Based on what?
Quote from: billnotben
it may be leading into smoking.

As before, based on what?
Community Veteran

As before, based on what?

I think you pretty much answer that yourself.
alcopops caused kids to drink and become alcoholics

Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
I think you pretty much answer that yourself.

But that was alcohol inserted into soft drinks, vaping is not placing tobacco products into a burner...
Vaping is taking the main narcotic in cigarettes, that is the Nicotine, and suspending it in a liquid (Propylene Glycol, Vegetable glycerine, or a mix of both, I await your "it's in antifreeze though!!" argument), and adding a flavouring to suit the user...
The experience of smoking a cigarette versus inhaling the vapour from an electronic cigarette is an entirely different experience, for one, the smoke in cigarettes is smoke, filled with all kinds of harmful and dangerous chemicals (have a look at the list here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/215420.php ), it causes damage to the lungs, resulting in a range of conditions from "smoker's cough" right up to COPD that recently killed Leonard Nimoy.
Vaping on the other hand, well, if you've ever been to a party and they've had a "smoke machine" about, you've been vaping already, as it's the same process as an electronic cigarette, but on a bigger scale, but that aside, the process of creating the vapour is to have the liquid soaked into a wick, usually a natural cotton, and heated up by a small heating coil which basically makes steam, the only constituents of the released vapour are the flavouring (look it up yourself, there's hundreds out there and I'm not listing the ingredients list for all of them!!), nicotine, if applied, and water vapour (what creates the clouds)...
When I was young, I tried smoking (as kids do), it was disgusting, it tasted horrible, it made me cough, it made my eyes burn, and my throat hurt, with the mother using fruit-flavoured vaping as a way to get off cigarettes lately, I've had a try of them just to see what it's like, and it's completely different, I'd go as far to say it's pleasant though the nicotine buzz made me feel sick so I'm not taking it up, so based upon that, why would a kid go from something that tastes nice (despite delivering a neurotoxin into their bodies) and blows clouds, to something that is as foul as tobacco? It's like saying that a child drinking Fentimans botanically brewed soft drinks will switch to drink london dry gin because the former product contains a very tiddly amount of alcohol due to the way it is produced, it's about as illogical a claim as you can get... Grin
So far, not a jot of genuine evidence has been produced to state vaping is dangerous, bad for health (bar the two flavourings of Cinnamon and Popcorn, but they have been withdrawn), or illegal, everything negative I have read has been scaremongering tactics brought about by various governments (they like the tobacco duty, which they don't get with eCigs), "scientists" employed by tobacco firms (the recent story was burning e-liquids produces formaldehyde, but that's burning, not vaporising, so that's bunk), or just people who want to ban it without listening to the evidence. Doctors haven't complained, people have quit smoking AND vaping, and money is going into the economy, there is no good reason in this world to ban it!!!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
Well there is a random quote if ever I saw one. I'm afraid you are going to have to come up with hard evidence as to why you feel like that? Be warned though I've been apart of keeping e-cigs on the market with various MPS AND MEPS
@Strat no you are not overreacting. Its people like these who give vapers a bad name.
Fixes: 125

When SWMBO used e-cigs for several months around 4 years ago it was so much better for me, too. Even though she only smoked in the garden or conservatory the smoke from cigarettes still permeated through the house as well as lingering on her clothes - not a pleasant smell and often caused coughing.
She could smoke e-cigs around me and the vapour had no adverse effect - no coughing, no lingering smells, etc. I wish she'd go back to them Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still