cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vac

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Vac

My vacuum cleaner went terminally Phutt!! today and needs to be replaced.
I'm tempted by the cordless G-Tech as advertised on TV, has anyone first hand experience of these machines.
The reviews seem so upbeat that frankly I don't trust they were written by users of the machines.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Vac

I visited someone the other day who had one and was raving about it. Still fairly heavy though.
Ours (a Sebo) packed up quite recently and we went for a Dyson lightweight rechargeable one. DC59 Animal I think, now upgraded renamed to the V6 IIRC.
It works really well for us, light and powerful. As effective as an upright and as easy to use as a handheld.
Bought a handheld accessory kit for it too, comes in useful, especially in the car.
The only thing to be fully aware of is battery life. You can only use it for a few minutes, especially in "turbo" mode.
That suits us, we just do a bit of vacuuming as and when, not the whole house in one go.
Oh, the dust container is pretty small too and can be a bit tricky to empty fully. Just do it frequently once you've got the hang of it.
PS The filter falls out easily, but maybe that's just ours.......
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

you cant beat a Dyson  Cool
Te G tech advert looks good but never saw one to try , as i replaced my old DC04 last month was shopping around
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

The way I look at it is that GTECH are trying to improve the upright cleaner, making it easier and more convenient to still do a full-house clean.
Dyson (our model anyway) is coming at it from a different direction entirely, upgrading the quick & easy handheld to be able to do all the jobs.
And there are lots of other options too of course. But we like the "better dustbuster" approach.
Our Sebo hadn't entirely given up so I cleaned it gave it a "major service" so that it is useable again. Hasn't been plugged in once since though.
Fixes: 47

When my Dyson died I bought a VAX and it's brilliant.
It's fairly light to carry around and has a good suction.
However the best part is when using it on a pile carpet. It sucks so hard to the floor that it's a real workout to move it about.
I would recommend it to anyone who is involved in power training and body building....which I am not Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We had a dyson (upright model) years ago and no doubt about it the level of suction was much better than other models available at that time, another bonus was that it was bagless but the downside was the cost of repairs, perhaps the current Dyson models are less complicated these days.
What we have now is a Gtec upright, very light and very good suction but it only runs for approx 20 minutes before it needs charging up but swmbo is quite impressed with it.
We also have a Henry vacuum cleaner and that's fairly good, a very simple design, the most that could go wrong would be the motor and any average handyman could replace that, worth noting you often see these type of vacuum cleaners in hotel corridors and similar establishments so they must be reliable, as there is little to go wrong
PowerLee
Rising Star

We have a George cleaner ( Henrys carpet cleaning bigger brother )
Its now 27 years old & still works perfectly fine, apart from needing a new carrying handle that cost £5 it's never gone wrong or let us down.
It isn't the lightest or most compact cleaner on the market but it gets the job done.
I used to repair the odd Henry cleaner years ago during my time in tool hire repair, it was mostly people not using bags in them that killed the motors.
Community Veteran

My only gripe with Dyson is the price for what at the end of the day is a collection of fairly cheap (to produce) plastic parts. £400+ for some of their products seems excessive to me for what they are.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Strat
When my Dyson died I bought a VAX and it's brilliant.
It's fairly light to carry around and has a good suction.
However the best part is when using it on a pile carpet. It sucks so hard to the floor that it's a real workout to move it about.
I would recommend it to anyone who is involved in power training and body building....which I am not Sad

Plus 1 for VAX
Quote from: PlusComUK

Our Dyson died after 10 years of good service
After a bit of research, we also bought a couple of Vax Vacuum Cleaners.
They are even better than the Dyson was.
But, one small disadvantage, the ones we have contain Corrugated Paper Filters, a bit like an Air Filter on a car.
You are supposed to regularly wash them, but after the first wash, they took ages to dry
So now we just brush the very fine dust off with a Paint Brush, kept for the purpose.
First attempt.... was a bit Windy outside, dust blew everywhere.
Second attempt, windless day was better.
But what we found worked best... with door and windows closed, brushing the filter whilst held in a toilet bowl, just above the water...
Then after, all the dust is just flushed away, after two goes.

We use Surgical Masks to stop the dust entering our nostrils......
(And other precautions !!)
Quote from: PlusComUK
Our Cleaning Lady is partially Deaf.
She does about 20 What's a day !!
That's way over 1,600 per annum !!

Perhaps it's the 1,600w Vax's we have that made her go deaf ?

TBH, they are actually not that noisy !
Community Veteran

I have a G-Tech and think it's great!
But, we have only a few square feet of carpet in the hall. The rest of the house is bare wood!
It's a doddle to hoover the house though. It's lightweight and easy to use and powerful. We had a Great Dane (died 4 weeks ago) and it had no trouble with her fur & dead skin etc.
The best bit is that there is no cord! I charge it maybe once a week, empty it about the same. I bought two new filters and alternate them with the originals - they just need washing to clean. Also got the little hand-held and that's really useful for curtains, ceiling, cobwebs, and the odd corners where the other can't reach. It's handy for cleaning inside the jam jar too!
It was bought to replace a Dyson and there's no regrets!
Geoff,
York.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Vax  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed na had 2 as a spares, her indoors broke them in less than a week  will never buy one again , BUT Henry hovers YES YES YES  But  mrs dont like them so it has to be a Dyson £ 280  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And here's me with a 4 year old Kirby Dual Sanitronic80 that uses far less power than the EU "vacuum cleaner law", has already outlasted anything modern, hasn't got the problems of batteries, and has the option to be "bagless" (shake-out cloth bag) or disposable-bagged... Grin
Also a Tristar CXL, out-cleans a dyson any day of the week, not to mention the original IEC "Compact" design was cyclonic before James Dyson was even born... Grin
I have many others too, cos I'm just that nuts... Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: rongtw
you cant beat a Dyson  Cool

I beg to differ. They are cheaply made easy to break pieces of carp if you ask me. We have a DC23 animal. In fairness it's suction is very good however within a fortnight of owning it I was on the phone to their HQ asking why there was a loss of suction - only for the woman to tell me that the thing was blocked up (Erm.. no loss of suction and no blockages is their selling point right?) Anyway got that sorted and it worked reliably for the next 3 years.. until the rotating brush decided to break. Luckily it did this under warranty and so dyson replaced it (with the wrong part insisting the original was no longer available.. until we insisted the part wouldn't fit properly and they suddenly found the right part). Anyhow when i dismantled the old broken part the gears and gearbox were made of the flimsiest plastic you could find. Gears less than 1mm thick spinning at thousands of RPM... it was only a matter of time before it would break and dyson know this.
Clever air technology yes. Honest to customers? No. Loss of suction possible? Yes. Well made? Not if you include the deliberate weak points.
Credit where it's due, it's brilliant at sucking up pet hair from the carpet, no other hoover has ever come that close however the things are so flimsy. I don't think i'd ever buy another.. though the hand helds are nice in principle.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Plus, dysons aren't shiny... Grin
valart
Grafter

I had a G Tech lawnmower it was useless lacked the power to cut the grass