cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VW (and others) Diesel Class Action Law Suit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

VW (and others) Diesel Class Action Law Suit

Did anyone actually join the group for "class action" regarding this?

Has anyone had any "cashback" regarding the supposed "devaluation" caused by the problem ?

I haven`t seen anything in the press regarding the "class action" court case...

I did not have my Skoda "devalued" by the "upgrade" to the on board electronics... and am just curious to know "what happned"  .. it has passed the M.o.T. test every year since the "scandal" was first reported.. and the m.p.g. is holding up too ..

11 REPLIES 11
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: VW (and others) Diesel Class Action Law Suit

I bought a 2008 Seat Leon, new at the time. I tried to make enquiries, but the vin checker on the solictors website didn't work. They wanted too much information at the outset. Who has their purchase invoice from 2008 or a copy of a previous vehicle's v5? I'm sure DVLA could provide previous owner information of a vehicle if requested.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@Marksfish  I did get in touch with the firm of solicitors, and they sent me an enormously long email, which contained a " contract " and lots of clauses and sub-clauses, and terms and conditions...

Originally, it looked as though the consumers would win the case and be given a "goodwill" payment in the 1,000`s of pounds.... however, on reading the clauses carefully, I decided against continuing with it, ... the main clause that stopped me was one that said, something like,

If VAG contested the result, having lost the initial case, and it was judged against the consumers,.. i.e. absolving VAG of responsibility, ANY monies paid out as a result of losing initially, PLUS court costs to recuprerate would be my personal responsibility, and the firm of solicitors would not be liable for any costs, whatsoever, involved.

My query today, has not been resolved, so I am assuming that no court case has yet been held.

Marksfish
Pro

It was Slater and Gordon I looked at. The deadline to sign up was the 26th October 2018. I wouldn't have thought anything has happened yet, as 3 months is a short time in legal time frames.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Marksfish wrote:

Who has their purchase invoice from 2008 <snip> ?

Who wouldn't? - especially for something expensive like a car!

I have receipts going back to 2001 for things like council tax and a TV. Granted i only have a few going back that far but I do have them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Marksfish
Pro

I usually send receipts and everything with the car when sold, as it is a part of its history and can help you gain a bit more for it (not so much these days, granted, but if it ever became a classic!)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Never found keeping receipts much use when selling cars as generally folks don't bother looking at them for some reason - at least not in my experience. Anyways, our car is so old (really) it either runs or it does not and would be 'seen, tried and tested' as they used to say.

Ah, the money we'd all be worth if we'd have kept some cars from our past - mine from a 1947 Vauxhall 14 (below) to one I turned down in '68 because I did not have the £100 my mate wanted for his then fifteen year old XK120. As for that MGB I had before baby came along... 

Capture (2).PNG

Not this exact one, but one just the same. 

Fixes: 382

I scan important documents and receipts to PDF even those I am physically keeping just in case.

The scans are stored offline.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat

Not to drift off topic, but in our house and given our ages, we've not long hit what is now known as the 'minimalist' button by having a good clear out of papers and stuff we no longer need and blimey o'reilly, we've got rid of so much. Half gone for recycling, half gone down the community charity shop. Like Marley's ghost, it's amazing what weight we drag through life.

Saves the kids sorting and dumping it all once we've gone I suppose.

https://www.theminimalists.com/minimalism/

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:if we'd have kept some cars from our past - mine from a 1947 Vauxhall

My Dad had one of those. From what I remember a great little car. The big surprise for little me was that it actually had a radio in it. Complete with valves of course.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It was actually quite a lump of a car although a bit underpowered if memory serves with a less than 2 litre engine. Only cost me £25 and was great fun in the years of my youth. Died on me in the end after overheating one time too many and I left parked up in Margate! :coolsmiley:

Community Veteran

At a time when most cars were black boxes I was quite taken by the bonnet embellishments. Sort of go faster stripes of their day.

I was going to add that it was the only car with a radio in it in our road. But thinking about that most of the time it was the only car in our road.