cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP... SKYPE... It may be You...... The Government Agencies are listening to !

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

VOIP... SKYPE... It may be You...... The Government Agencies are listening to !

"New eavesdropping technology could allow government agencies to 'silently record' conversations on internet chat services like Skype in real time.
Until now, so called voice over internet protocol (VoIP) services have been difficult for police to tap into, because of the way they send information over the web.
The services convert analogue audio signals into digital data packets, which are then sent 'peer-to-peer' in a way that is costly and complex for third parties to intercept."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2236306/Revolutionary-technology-allow-governments-li...
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: VOIP... SKYPE... It may be You...... The Government Agencies are listening to !

They'd soon get fed up with listening to SWMBO's inane natterings  Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: VOIP... SKYPE... It may be You...... The Government Agencies are listening to !

Skype to skype calls are encrypted with a strong cypher making eavesdropping unrealistic unless the security services intend applying a lot of compute resource.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It may be encrypted but its still decryptable. If its decryptable you can be that:
1) Someone other than the authorised recipient will be able to decrypt it
2) The authorities will have the computer power to decrypt it on a large scale if they want to
3) The key to encrypt / decrypt information between two peers is exchanged somewhere - as long as a sniffer picks that up they can also decrypt your communications
#3 ties in with #1 because even secure systems such as SSL that use keys can be cracked. With the advances in GPU processing that allow cracking at a seriously more powerful rate than a CPU it was only a matter of time before this issue came up.
I read an article recently that one of the worlds super computers has just been upgraded to use GPU computing to put it back at the top of the super computer list.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

My company uses Geordie Wind Talkers over Skype to protect our communications
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
They'd soon get fed up with listening to SWMBO's inane natterings  Grin

Same here,  Embarrassed would considering asking for a end-of-day 5 minute summary Grin.  Just (half an ear) listened to 90 minutes of MIL reporting to SWMBO about some soap catch up or other................ at least they are happy Roll eyes Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Sprite
It may be encrypted but its still decryptable. If its decryptable you can be that:
1) Someone other than the authorised recipient will be able to decrypt it
2) The authorities will have the computer power to decrypt it on a large scale if they want to
3) The key to encrypt / decrypt information between two peers is exchanged somewhere - as long as a sniffer picks that up they can also decrypt your communications
I read an article recently that one of the worlds super computers has just been upgraded to use GPU computing to put it back at the top of the super computer list.

Not with decent public key encryption.
Even a super computer or GPU computer may take so long to find the secret key to your conversation that you actually died many centuries previously.
This renders your conversation to be of little use to them.  Cheesy

Community Veteran

Which all goes to prove that two bean tins with a piece of string stretched tightly between them is 100% secure!
Infinity
Pro

Not really, the metal vibrates, and "could" be picked up by a magnetic field, or a very directional microphone, and the string vibrating will cause disturbances in the air !!!
Community Veteran

This is scaremongering, Skype is surprisingly secure, the realtime decryption is a challenge. Now normal Voip, those using SIP and basic RTP, they are not at all secure.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
This is scaremongering ...

Without even reading the article, I'd expect nothing less from the likes of the Daily Mail.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
Not really, the metal vibrates, and "could" be picked up by a magnetic field, or a very directional microphone, and the string vibrating will cause disturbances in the air !!!

Best to use them in a vacuum inside a magnetically shielded box then!  Wink
Community Veteran

Well maybe we all better keep quiet about criticising them too much.. they're on the prowl for someone to clear up their 'issues':
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK

Actually you'd have a better chance of tapping in to that with a laser listener.
Infinity
Pro

That's true.
There is another way, but I'm not allowed to say, it's Classified.