Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VJ Day

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

VJ Day

Watch the VJ Day remembrance on the BBC this morning. After all the criticism the BBC gets thought they did an excellent job on this, Very good coverage.SmileyThumbs_Up

15 REPLIES 15
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Re: VJ Day

Makes you proud to be British, which is a rarity these days for the BBC.

This years Remembrance Day also marks one hundred years since the present Cenotaph first unveiled.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jingoistic nonsense. Time to move on from the horrors of the twentieth century.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Winter here already ? Sure I spotted a snowflake.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a very unpleasant reply, @Champnet.

If you disagree with my view you are more than welcome to put forward an alternative opinion, but to insult me in the way you have is unpleasant, unhelpful and in my view contrary to the forum rules and I have reported your post accordingly.

Champnet
Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

Jingoistic nonsense. Time to move on from the horrors of the twentieth century.

OK let's try another approach. Ask not why we remember the ending of two tragic world wars, ask why the Germans & Japanese feel they must  remember them as well, it must be very painful for the people....

As for my previous comment you've just confirmed my opinion. There another post to report....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Champnet wrote:

Ask not why we remember the ending of two tragic world wars, ask why the Germans & Japanese feel they must  remember them as well, it must be very painful for the people....

I did not ask anything, @Champnet., nor did I suggest that only the U.K. should move on from the horrors of those world wars.

My view is that such events perpetuate and encourage mistrust and hostility between nations, when we would do better to work more closely together to develop our humanity and what we have in common. Rather than misrepresenting my position and continuing to treat this as a personal issue, and as you clearly disagree with my position, perhaps you could indicate what you feel are the benefits to anybody in continuing to hold ‘remembrance’ events? 

Champnet
Champion

No further comments....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Having served in the Royal Navy for 12 years... and been in some pretty bad situations on foreign shores.

Remembrance day parades, serve to remind those who have served their country, and monarch, in the armed forces, of those, friends, mates,  and unknown colleagues,  who served also, and lost their lives, or were badly wounded, in doing so.

Families always remember their loved one`s when they have died, however, that death may have occurred.  be it natural, violent, accidental or disease..

Each family member holds their own "remembrance day parade", family groups get together on their special "remembrance day parade". and so do the families of the armed services. 

This country owes a debt of gratitude to those who fought for OUR freedom... those who came after, now ENJOY that freedom of life, but do not have to go through the trauma of war to enjoy it.

Those who came after, should also celebrate that fact, and remember what life would have been like if the result of that war had been reversed.

Both sides, and all countries involved in both world war 1 and world war 2, are remembering the dead, that give the present populations of their respective country, the way of life that they now enjoy.

There is a great friendship between all of the countries of Europe, AND  JAPAN,  and testament to this is the amount of trade that takes place between them all. Without that trust, trade would not exist. 

Remembrance day, and in particular VJ day, has not engendered mistrust between nations... although some political activists would probably disagree with that statement,

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@shutter wrote:

This country owes a debt of gratitude to those who fought for OUR freedom... those who came after, now ENJOY that freedom of life, but do not have to go through the trauma of war to enjoy it.

Those who came after, should also celebrate that fact, and remember what life would have been like if the result of that war had been reversed.

Both sides, and all countries involved in both world war 1 and world war 2, are remembering the dead, that give the present populations of their respective country, the way of life that they now enjoy.

We must never, ever, forget.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@shutter Thanks very much for that, and as @198kHz says - we must never, never forget.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well said and well put @shutter 

We owe an immense unpayable gratitude to those that gave their lives on our behalf, and to hijack a VJ or any remembrance day topic in order to make an incredibly feeble point in pursuit of some facetious argument goes way beyond the pale.

For the dead on both sides, I have paid a personal visit to the German war graves mausoleum southwest of Avranches, for the Commonwealth and with tears in my eyes to those graves near Caen in Normandy, and to that most famous one of all in Theipval which commemorates of course the one million that were lost during the battle of the Somme.

Just think about that for one moment those that would ridicule and those that would seek to disregard. One million. 

Not as a tourist to any of them either, but to pay my respects to those lost to families my own included, and to the nations on all sides of all conflicts.

Let's remember them, let them rest, and lets leave it there. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Thanks, bit before my time but I remember trying to get it teached at history.

I agree with all the comments on here. All I can say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter 

Thank you for engaging with the issues rather than simply attacking the holder of a different view. 
You make some very good points, and I would agree that there can be space to remember those from all nations who suffered or lost lives during those times. However it seems to me that to celebrate ‘victory in Japan’, or indeed ‘victory in  Europe‘ is jingoistic in that it emphasises some notion of British superiority and therefore detracts from the many millions of other nationalities, and from ‘both sides’ who died or otherwise suffered, remembering for example that the largest number of deaths by far in the Second World War were from the then Soviet Union.  
Perhaps it would be better to remember in a way which does not emphasise ‘winning’, as if that conveyed some sort of virtue.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Fortunately, I have no political axe to grind...