cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VE Day and VJ Day Celebrations

Community Veteran

VE Day and VJ Day Celebrations

The government has announced details of the celebrations for the 70th anniversary of the Victory in Europe on 8th May. A 3 day weekend will take pace to celebrate.
VE Day Celebrations
Dame Vera Lynn will take part in the celebrations and sing 'We'll meet again'. She will be 98 on Friday.
Plans will also be announced shortly for the celebrations for VJ Day on 15th August.
Smiley Smiley Smiley
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: VE Day and VJ Day Celebrations

Strange how we don`t celebrate the victory of the English over the Welsh/Scottish/Irish... in the same manner... not forgetting "minor skirmishes"... like "The War of the Roses"... isn`t it about time we just quietly let these dates pass on..... it must cause some resentment to our European allies, and the Japanese, that we still find the time, energy and money to "crow" about our "victory" over them....
Fixes: 125

I think it's important to remember in some way what sacrifices the armed forces made for our freedom which is simply taken for granted most of the time.
Whether 3 days is appropriate is another matter.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with Shutter on this,..................... let us remember quietly in our own way and not crow about it.
Will have enough crowing in 2016 - 30th July - world prefer to forget this date as well Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I kind of lean both ways with this, agree with shutter one way but, enjoy the spectacle and appreciate the reasons the other way.
Maybe the politically correct brigade could have them re-named Peace in Europe and Japan days...,
Unfortunately that's not been true since.
Wonder if we'll have enough troops left to mount the parades though,
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

there I was all excited about an extra bank holiday. bah.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I see nothing wrong in these celebrations. It will also teach our younger generation a little modern history.
Community Veteran

being "on the side of victory"... it is easy to see nothing wrong with the celebrations.... unfortunately... the "losing side" will wonder why we still rub their noses in the dirt like this....
on the actual day of Victory in Europe,... and  Victory over Japan.... the celebrations were well deserved recognition of the sacrifices of those troops involved. and a way for the people of britain to celebrate the end of the war(s) in both theatres....
but perpetuating the memory of the defeat of the other side, is not going to foster or improve relationships between countries and nations.
Teach the children history in the classrooms,... they will not learn anything from a military parade remembering a victory over another country 70 years ago... ( almost before my life started ).. the link between the children of today and the military connotations of the parades/rememberances will be lost on them....
Would we be so happy to see Germany, or Japan celebrating their victory over our defeat, if it had been the opposite result....and to be repeated at every opportunity... ? (every 10 years forever and ever, amen ).... ? 
No, I don`t think so... we would be outraged..
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I don't see them as celebrations but commemorations. I see nothing wrong with remembering that war in Europe ended, after all it benefited all man kind not only those on the winning side. 
But than again I do a lot of work for our local WWII charity museum, At the minute I'm digitising the operational records and find it heartbreaking to write up a crew's 28 - 29 sortie after they have flown night after night after night, to see they failed to return, knowing they would have in most cases been relieved of duty after the 30th.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
wonder why we still rub their noses in the dirt like this...

The main reason has to be that the consequences are not over and will not be over for a long time yet.
gswindale
Grafter

So,
We have Remembrance Sunday & Armed Forces day, in which we remember/commemorate those who gave their life protecting the country & show our respect for those who put their life on the line to protect the country now.
Do we really need a special occasion to mark x years since the end of WW2?  Surely Remembrance Sunday marks those in a suitable manner.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Two big anniversaries this year Agincourt 1415 and Waterloo 1815  Smiley
The kids should be taught about these and I think we need to beat France at Twickenham next Saturday to win this years Six Nations  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Two big anniversaries this year Agincourt 1415 and Waterloo 1815  Smiley

I bet the government are not doing any celebration stuff for them....? ? ? 
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see how the public respond to the parades. My guess is they will be more receptive than some of the views here Wink Wink
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: PeterLoftus
Two big anniversaries this year Agincourt 1415 and Waterloo 1815  Smiley

I bet the government are not doing any celebration stuff for them....? ? ?  

http://www.200waterloo.co.uk/?utm_source=GAAdwords&utm_medium=Adwords&utm_campaign=92008516&gclid=CO...
These have been advertised on the TV for last 2 months.