cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCR not playing back sound from cassettes

community
Grafter

VCR not playing back sound from cassettes

I have a perfectly good LG VCR for which I have a number of cassettes I want to transfer to DVD.
I haven't used the VCR for a long time and when I connected it to the TV the other day, I found it played the video but not the audio.
I have made sure that the TV is set up as necessary to do this, but the problem still appears.
Any Ideas anyone?
I even considered buying another VCR but that would be stupid because I only want to play and re-record a few cassettes.
I looked on EBay and found some cheaper ones but they are still fetching £40-50, used and in any case I believe that my VCR can be 'coaxed'  Wink
cheers
Eddie Johnson
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: VCR not playing back sound from cassettes

Is the video quality good and just no sound?
What are you connecting the VCR to, a PC or DVD-R recorder? What kind of cable are you using ... SCART, Component?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how are you connecting?, if scart, make sure both plugs are pushed in correctly
scootie
Grafter

whats a VCR. ive heard of betamax but not vcr  Grin
coax, scart or aux ?
what  model of LG is it?
Community Veteran

VCR's need servicing if they are to continue to perform adequately. The heads can collect dirt, wear, and become misaligned. But getting one serviced might well cost more than a new one.
Why not get one of the combined VCR/DVD and minimise shelf space.
Community Veteran

ASBO DOG VCR = video cassette recorder.
N/A

When I've lost sound on mine it's because I haven't got the scarts set up properly. However, it is well worth a trip to the chemist for a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a pack of cotton buds in order to clean the heads. If it's been stood a while they are almost certain to be dirty. Also, old tapes tend to make the heads grubby.
As has been said, a combo unit is handy - mine is a Panasonic DVD/VCR which is handy because you can record both ways.
community
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. sorry I took so long to reply.
Answers to your questions:
1. Scart leads are good and located well. (plural because I have tried two separate ones)
2.Video quality is not perfect but adequate..not as good as the original show was.
3.The VCR is being connected to the TV for Playback not for recording.
4.Model of VCR is LG  LV700.
I shall try to clean the heads tomorrow and see what a difference it makes, if any. But it will mean dismantling the case (it is not a tape recorder but a cassette recorder)
I would think that if I can get reasonable picture then the sound should also be reasonable..but there is no sound at all.
Thanks again.
Community Veteran

Well if zero sound - then there could be a hardware fault - leads, connectors or electronics inside.
But no need to dismantle as you can get cleaning cassettes etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

or in my case after a water leak in the roof dripped all over the VCR  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thought, is it a NTSC tape you are trying to play on PAL?, that is one on the symptoms
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you tried one of those head cleaner tapes?
or perhaps it's a silent film Smiley

Community Veteran

Will it work via RF ie the aerial. What about tracking can you alter the tracking as that is the most common cause
Fixes: 125

Some VCRs have the ability to record to and read from two separate dual audio tracks. IIRC I think one for the Nicam Stereo is encoded with the video but there may be separate audio tracks which can be read. Or it may be that the VCR is set to read those tracks but nothing is on them.
The option to change audio tracks is probably well hidden in the menu system although my old JVC had button in a drop down opening at the front.
Worth a try.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

community
Grafter

Quote from: Samuria
Will it work via RF ie the aerial. What about tracking can you alter the tracking as that is the most common cause

I am intrigued by this suggestion.
Why should the RF have any bearing on PLAYBACK sound.?
Tracking,ASAIAA, is automatic.
@pierre  ...The system is PAL.
Quote from: Mav
Or it may be that the VCR is set to read those tracks but nothing is on them.

The cassette I am trying to hear is from 1985 and has been played back many times with success previously but has not been played for a couple of years.
Incidentally, the same fault i.e. no sound , is also the problem with all the other cassettes I have. So I guess it is a fault of the VCR and that may well be 'dirty head' which needs a clean.