cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT receipt

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

VAT receipt

In a garage are you offered a VAT receipt when you fill up with fuel.
I usually decline...But should I, without casting any aspersions I noticed today that the till operator printed the VAT receipt anyway, carefully folded it and put it on a pile of similar receipts.
Why?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: VAT receipt

you only need a vat receipt if you're planning on claiming the vat back.
the tills are probably set to just print them anyway, and if they are not required the operative will put them in a pile to do whatever with them later.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
you only need a vat receipt if you're planning on claiming the vat back.

If the total amount is less than £250 (which it normally is at petrol stations), then a full VAT receipt is not necessary unless certain information is missing - https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices#6
For most petrol stations, a normal receipt (aka a 'simplified receipt') will suffice for VAT purposes.
Community Veteran

that last 2 companies i've worked for have always stated that a VAT receipt is required for everything regardless of the value.
so regardless of the the gov.uk website says, companies do ask for them.
a simplified invoice omits a lot of the details that companies want when claiming back expenses.
most notably - total amount excluding vat and total amount of vat, and more bizarrely does not require to have the date on it !
Community Veteran

HMRC doesn't though, as I've had a VAT inspection and did not have any issues.
The simplified invoice has the time of supply, so this would be the same as the date for any petrol/diesel receipt.
The total amount on a simplified receipt includes the VAT. If someone cannot work out 1/6 of that, then they shouldn't be in accounting!
Community Veteran

business do ask for them when submitting claims/payment though.
so although HRMC may not have a requirement for them, businesses certainly do.
and in this instance, at a petrol station, it isn't HMRC that's buying the petrol, it's a joe public who may be claiming the cost back as expenses.
if a dept has thousand of receipts coming in each month, i wouldn't expect them to be doing the pre-VAT cost calculation on each one that lands on their desk.
one of the two companies i worked for was multi-national, and if you didn't submit a vat receipt then you didn't get it refunded to you.
Community Veteran

I normally get handed a receipt and it shows the VAT content.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: chenks76
business do ask for them when submitting claims/payment though.
so although HRMC may not have a requirement for them, businesses certainly do.

But you're not seeing the big picture are you.
If you trusted all of your employees to understand VAT rules all through the company, people would get silly and make mistakes and bring back the wrong receipts to the bean counters. For little purchases that might not matter but when manager Joe goes and buys 5 warehouse trolleys at £100 a time and doesn't get a VAT receipt because he's a pillock then the brown stuff hits the fan.
Therefore it's just easier to be prepared for the worst and tell your employees to ALWAYS get a VAT receipt. That way there can be no blunders.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Did you quote the wrong person?
It wasn't me that was saying vat receipts are not required.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I never said you did - I was just making a point that is probably WHY many businesses insist on vat receipts  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

couple of organisations I do work for allow me to 'claim' a mileage allowance, but I must produce a VAT receipt covering more than the amount claimed.
Fortunately our local garage has a supply of 'unclaimed' vat receipts Wink for when I forget to ask for one
PowerLee
Rising Star

My dad used to claim the VAT back on his diesel for his van as he was registered for VAT as part of his business, he used to pass all the diesel receipts to his accountant.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
couple of organisations I do work for allow me to 'claim' a mileage allowance, but I must produce a VAT receipt covering more than the amount claimed.
Fortunately our local garage has a supply of 'unclaimed' vat receipts Wink for when I forget to ask for one

That's fraud
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
The total amount on a simplified receipt includes the VAT. If someone cannot work out 1/6 of that, then they shouldn't be in accounting!

Companies I worked for it's not the account/book keepers working it out but the employee when they fill out the expenses claim form.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
That's fraud

Possibly, the claim is on a pence-per-mile basis. There is no tie-back to the amount on the VAT receipt and no proof that the amount of fuel has been purchased for a certain vehicle.
The only stipulations are that the VAT receipt must be for more than the cost of the fuel and in the same tax year as the claim.
One of the organisation that I claim from is a government department.