cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAG TDI Injector problems

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

VAG TDI Injector problems

I don't know how many people are aware but there are problems with certain batches of the Piezo-electric type of injectors fitted to many VAG group(VW,Audi,Skoda,Seat) 2.0 TDI engines around the 2006-7 period.
These can short circuit and the ECU will shut down the engine immediately. This can be most disconcerting ( if not dangerous!) as you will lose all power. A colleague of mine had this happen twice , first one injector failed, was replaced and then 2 months later a second failed...
At the time VW claimed there was not a general problem and since the vehicle was out of warranty it eventually cost some £2500 Cry to replace all 4 injectors. VW, after pressure from VOSA, have now admitted it is a manufacturing fault and have agreed to replace injectors of the period concerned FOC and also to reimburse any costs already paid for replacement.
I believe they are sending  letters to owners
Today I recieved a letter from VW advising of a Customer Satisfaction Campaing - Passat "206 Piezo Injector Quote from letter
"VW passat sport "2.0 TDI engine of a limited period small electrically conducting carbon deposits can settle on the Piezo Pump  Injector  elementsafter being carried in the engine oil. This can lead to running problems and in some cases to a short circuit of the Piezo Pump  Injector  element, which can cause engine running problems and in certain circumstances the engine to stop.
To ensure the reliability of your Passat engine injectors we would like to offer you the opportunity to have a free precautionary checkand if necessary repair your vechicle. The check and any necessary rep[air work is free of charge
We strongly recomend that you take up this offer to avoid any inconvenience you may incur if your vehicle develops any running problems"

My advice would be to anyone who has a VAG vehicle with the 2.0 PD engine of the right age to contact their dealer as having an injector fail at 70mph on the motorway is not a pleasant experience I'm told Roll eyes
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: VAG TDI Injector problems

That`s nice.... Smiley
At least they are doing the work free.... not like Renno and Voxhall, when they have problems....
I`m OK... my engine is SDI AND  pre 2000.... ((170k and still going strong on original injectors))
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Yes, I'm fortunate as well shutter. I used to have an earlier 1.9 PD engine with electrmagnetic injectors and have now got a Seat Exeo which has the CR engine, so I've completely missed the 2.0 PD engine with the problems.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Had a Ford Focus TDI (2002 model) which cut out several times on me at speed, it didn't just gradually slow down it cut out and it was like someone slamming on the breaks, despite spending over a thousand pounds on it the problem was never solved and I was always  on edge driving the thing. Seems it's a known problem on some of these car from postings on the internet.
Oddly enough my previous car was a a golf TDI but never had a spot of bother with it.
Have now gone back to a petrol car and so far no problems
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
At least they are doing the work free.... not like Renno

I dunno how they keep going with the way they treat their customers. Lots of people love VW as you can pretty much get any VW part no matter how old the car, their support is pretty good in that respect.  Ren-oh on the other hand after 10 years thats it, no more parts and they won't even suggest how to get around the issue. Plus there is the issue (as you mention) of defects due to their design being the customers fault not theirs...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!