cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Costs

geoffp0
Grafter

Utility Costs

I used to get my gas and electricity from British Gas and yes I know that all supliers increased their costs but after British Gas increased theirs I just could not believe the monthly bills I was getting, so I started looking around I got some price plans from
E-On who are the main supplier for the East Anglia area they were a little cheaper, but to my shock the cheapest by far was "Scottish Power" so straight away I changed over to them.
I am just amazed at how low my monthly bills are now, I was all ways carefull with the use of electricity as I have a power monitor to see what I use daily/weekly/monthly.
It just seems amazing to me that by using a company the other end of the country from where I am that power is so much cheaper, Thanks Scottish Power.
Has anyone else found this sort of thing Smiley
Geoff
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Utility Costs

I really must get around to checking out the deals as I've never changed my supplier NPower Embarrassed
I used to be with British Gas for my gas but I didn't change it to NPower....NPower did.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geoffp0
Grafter

I think that everyone should have a look around at this present time it is surprising what you can save on gas and electricity, I have an "On line" account with Scotish Power and I am saving nearly 40% on what I was paying British Gas Grin
Geoff
johpal
Grafter

I keep spreadsheets on how much gas and electricity we (family of 4) and my M-in-law use.
I used several price comparison websites to make a decision, but finally went with Which? Switch http://www.which.co.uk/switch/?m=home&cid=wolfooter.
For us, first:utility came out cheapest, BUT you are billed for what you use monthly. You don't spread the cost over 12 months, paying the same amount each month. This may not make it convenient for everybody. (Incidentally, just had a new "Smart" meter installed by them; I remain better off under their "iSave" tarrif than under the new "Smart" tariff, now also available to me. I'm sticking where I am).
M.-in-law, on the other hand, was far better off with Scottish Power and being able to submit the meter readings online was a useful feature.
I never listen to cold-callers, callers at the door, look at leaflets, adverts, etc. I do monitor suppliers annually using switch websites, but I find I have more success typing in my annual usage in kWh. Just takes a little extra work.
geoffp0
Grafter

The monitor that I use is an "Efergy" it has a small sensor clipped around the cable at the meter point and the beauty of this model is that it uploads to the pc and generates graphs tables ect.
Have tried all of these units but this one is the best so far, I have about four lying around the garage redundant Grin
I saw the isave company but being on a pension I like to space my payments over the 12 months.
Geoff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m with Southern ELectric.... (which I believe is a part of Scottish & Southern Electric), for both gas and elec.... I pay quarterly, on line, and when I get the "estimated" bill , I go out and read the meter, phone the result and they re-bill me... (good way to get a week or so "grace" added to your payment date !).... I have (several times) checked the comparison sites, but feel it is not worth the effort, just to save up to £15 per year,  (total) by switching ...
Doing the comparison, sometimes shows up, a cheaper tarrif by Southern Electric, so I just phone them up and see if I can be shifted over, - keeps me as a customer, and saves me the hassle of changeover and double billing problems a few weeks after the initial change over date...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: geoffp0
The monitor that I use is an "Efergy" it has a small sensor clipped around the cable at the meter point and the beauty of this model is that it uploads to the pc and generates graphs tables ect.
Have tried all of these units but this one is the best so far, I have about four lying around the garage redundant Grin
I saw the isave company but being on a pension I like to space my payments over the 12 months.
Geoff
Which are the others you have tried as I am looking to get one primarily for clipping round the feed to the immersion heater (I know I will need to separate the live wire from the others) to see how much it is costing me. i was thinking about the OWL units
geoffp0
Grafter

Don't bother buying one Jim, if you PM me your address I will send you one down for nothing it is the CC128 (Current Cost 12Cool you can get some free software for it if you wish to plot the use/cost look it up on the internet and let me know if its of use to you. Cheesy
Geoff
nadger
Rising Star

I've never bothered using monitor I got from British Gas as there's never anything needlessly left switched on but I do use a remotely controlled extension lead for TV etc - not sure whether that's not due to being lazy.
Currently on a couple of price guarantees that expire March 2012. On Energy Smart contract with British Gas which means I read meter and pay exact amount monthly.
When I started it I was over £200 in credit, with BG, so opened an on-line savings account and paid monthly into that until credit had been used. I set a monthly amount and if bill is less pay balance into account and vice versa. Currently I have over £100 in the savings account with the easier months to come when balance should increase.
Not really necessary but at least I get a few pence interest on my money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also with Scottish Power on a fixed term contract until 2012.
You pay a bit more for this but at least you know the price is held for that period.
They now advertise one fixed until 2013 but you will pay a higher premium for that.
Our costs average £86 per month for Gas & Electricity for a 3 bedroom bungalow, not sure how that compares to what others pay but this seems like an average on line price.
Problem with these price comparison sites is they find you the cheapest deal and then a short time later the energy company puts it's price up and is no longer the cheapest.
Hard to believe but at one time British Gas were the cheapest for a short time (Possibly so they could put adverts out claiming, quite correctly, that they were the cheapest supplier.)
geoffp0
Grafter

Again I agree with you there, I am paying £68 per month now as opposed to £92 with British Gas that is for gas and electricity and I have a 3 bedroom detached house, I admit I have cavity wall insulation which is a godsend and I also had a12 inches of fibreglass wool put in the attic
Geoff Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I am with Eon and have been for over a year now, I switch to they lowest online tariff available, my current one's discounts usually pays for my gas bill every Q (except the winter bills  Wink)
I used to be with npower but they were charging me £115/month switched to Eon @ £75/month - and they have only now increased it to £85pm  so over the year I saved nearly £500  Cool
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
For us, first:utility came out cheapest, BUT you are billed for what you use monthly. You don't spread the cost over 12 months, paying the same amount each month. This may not make it convenient for everybody. (Incidentally, just had a new "Smart" meter installed by them; I remain better off under their "iSave" tarrif than under the new "Smart" tariff, now also available to me. I'm sticking where I am).

Have you had notice yet that First Utility will be increasing their tariffs from the 1st April. Also in the Which magazine it was mentioned that Ofgem is looking into First Utility regarding Customer service and upping the price soon after signing up.
I'm with First Utility with a smart meter, the meter may be smart but First Utility is incorrectly charging night usage on the more expensive day usage. I can download the half hourly reading and calculate what I use in the night and my calculations and the direct reading for the meter do not tie up with what I'm being charge. After complaining for the last 10 months I'm hoping that the energy ombudsman will take it up. They originally refused because it was over 9 months since I first complained but I pointed out that I can start a new complaint because every month my bill is wrong.
nadger
Rising Star

Currently putting £50/month into gas account and paying £25/month by DD to Eon for electric. Seem to be staying in credit - have 3 bed semi.
Fixes: 47

My monthly fuel direct debit has gone up to £113 with NPower but I'm guessing it will drop substantially in 6 months time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation