cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilities on the road

Fixes: 47

Utilities on the road

Earlier this year the footpath on our road was dug up to lay a new telephone multicore from the cabinet to the pole.
A few weeks later a Utility company re-dug up the footpath and laid a new gas main.
Currently a Utility company is digging up the path again and laying a 6" ducting for new electric cabling...I'm keeping an eye on my broadband light.
Before the end of September the new street lighting, installed weeks ago is supposed to connected to the mains.
Also before the end of September the road and footpath are due for resurfacing.
Most of this could have been done in one go.
PS I was watching the mini excavator digging the trench earlier and he nudged the new gas main a few times. I'm thinking of popping down town for safety reasons....I've checked the house insurance is up to date.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
5 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Utilities on the road

I guess they, chose to to each separately, to minimize disruptions   Roll eyes
A few years a go when they done the refurb here
The so - qualified lecky drilled through the mains Pyro cable when installing the new fusebox
Resulted in us having a new re - routed Pyro cable installed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
Earlier this year the footpath on our road was dug up to lay a new telephone multicore from the cabinet to the pole.
A few weeks later a Utility company re-dug up the footpath and laid a new gas main.
Currently a Utility company is digging up the path again and laying a 6" ducting for new electric cabling...I'm keeping an eye on my broadband light.
Before the end of September the new street lighting, installed weeks ago is supposed to connected to the mains.
Also before the end of September the road and footpath are due for resurfacing.
Most of this could have been done in one go.
PS I was watching the mini excavator digging the trench earlier and he nudged the new gas main a few times. I'm thinking of popping down town for safety reasons....I've checked the house insurance is up to date.
I remember this issue being mentioned years ago in the national press and the government saw no reason why local authorities could not do more in the way of coordinating the work so most of it could be done at the same time as they were the ones who had to give approval for work to be done.
It cannot be hard for a local authority who approve a new path or road to ask the obvious question of whether or not telephone, gas, water or other pipes or cables are likely to be laid and then contact the firms concerned, seems like many other good ideas this was never actioned.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can't understand this perverse desire we have in this country to put the utilities under the road.
In parts of France where they are developing new housing areas they put the utilities under the footpath. A footpath not like ours, but a large gully with concrete slabs laid across it. When anything need doing they simply lift the slabs and everything is accessible. Dry, clean and quick.
Incidentally, this isn't a new idea...it is used on lots of military bases here in the UK, and has been for many years.
Fixes: 125

But then you wouldn't need an army of people to do risk assessment, fill lots of paper work, decide who digs where and when, another risk assessment, several people to stand around the hole in hi-viz nodding accordingly, another risk assessment then someone to agree to fill it in as it was in the wrong place anyway Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

When all this is done and dusted I'm expecting a letter from the local water authority advising me that the pipework in the area is to be upgraded and will require footpath excavation.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation