cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Mobile Phone while Cycling

Fixes: 47

Using a Mobile Phone while Cycling

Can cyclists be charged with using a mobile phone while cycling on a public road?

Cyclist on Phone.JPG

Photo courtesy of Google Maps.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Mobile Phone while Cycling

http://bfy.tw/76Bj

(The answer though is presently no, but, I just had to use that site as I've not done it for years!)

Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

Can cyclists be charged with using a mobile phone while cycling on a public road?

it's about time cyclists had to obey road rules. They should also be obliged to have insurance in case of accident.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Using a mobile phone while cycling is not illegal - however the offence could be careless cycling. 

Source: www.askthe.police.uk

Community Veteran

The main difference between a cyclist using a phone and a motorist is that when things go pear shaped the cyclist will often end up flattened in the road.

But like seat belts in cars I can see no reason why cyclists shouldn't be (forcibly) protected from themselves.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well for those of you that have encountered grumpy cyclists on the road you'll know they are first to cite their entitlement to use the road, so should be bound by the said same laws. If this were the case I think there would be a lot less Cycle -v- Vehicle road rage as the mentality would change at the thought of their respective insurance premiums going up. Yes I know it's probably unenforceable but ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

billnotben wrote:

The main difference between a cyclist using a phone and a motorist is that when things go pear shaped the cyclist will often end up flattened in the road.

But like seat belts in cars I can see no reason why cyclists shouldn't be (forcibly) protected from themselves.

Hmm... interesting concept.... a seat belt on a bike  !   Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I feel that compulsory 3rd party insurance should be forced on them.
Cycling the wrong way down one way streets, Through red lights etc,etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@HairyMcbiker

Certainly agree with that.

I imagine a cyclist hitting a pedestrain at high speed could cause serious injury, as many paths are now legally shared with cyclists the chances of being hit are higher.

Several times I have been on paths where cyclists have come from behind without warning and they make the assumption you will remain in the same spot.

Bells should be made compulsory.

As kids we used to attach a flexible piece of plastic or perhaps it was some other material which flicked against the spokes and made a right racket.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I thought bells were included it the HWG. But of course the police RARELY charge cyclists with anything.
But yes,been out walking the dog and some PILLOCK comes flying past mere inches from me with NO warning at all.

Once I made a cyclist slow down as he went past me (coming towards me down a hill) by staying in the middle of the road, all I got was a load of abuse, but if he had come down at full pelt and hit me or my dog I would have done worse to him. And no it wasn't a a youngster either!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Using a Mobile Phone while Cycling

I see it did not take long to drift away from the subject of your post Strat, inevitable I suppose when it comes to cyclists. As for using a mobile phone, bloody daft and on their heads be it - but where do you draw the line eh, horse riders, skateboards...... electric wheelchairs! (seen those in the road going the wrong way..... oops, drifting off subject!)  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

It's Chit Chat, we're allowed to drift.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Drift wood.

Would that be flotsam or jetsam?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed, as did I.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.