cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Strava "secretly"

penneck
Grafter

Using Strava "secretly"

I've been using Strava to measure the distances I run, but have noticed that the post-run report mentions people I don't know about. I believe they are called "followers" by Strava, and are using, or have used, some or all of the same route I was using.
Do they get told of what I am doing, where and when? Sounds like Big Brother
I did have a problem with Strava a couple of weeks ago, where I thought I had started it, but at the end of the run, I couldn't find any trace of the run, so I couldn't stop it. I jumped in my car and drove home. I then received a complaint from another Strava-user (or possibly Strava administrator) who I had never heard of, that I had gone along a road at a speed that he couldn't believe I was running - please would I delete that run record as it was affecting the result of some other setup (apparently something like "who ran along a particular section of road the fastest"). Eventually I found the record - still going - stopped it and managed to delete it.
Is it possible to set up Strava so that no other person other than those I specify knows what I am doing? If so, how?
Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Using Strava "secretly"

looks like you need to switch enhanced privacy on, have a look at this https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20944416-Privacy-Settings
personally i ditched strava for endomondo as it's easier to manage privacy and better for multiple sports.
Will Moderate For Thanks
penneck
Grafter

Thanks Dvorak. I have taken a look at the link you sent to me, and it seems it still allows others to see what I have been up to, even if I block someone ( if it cannot be fully private, it would at least be nice to be able to "block everyone, except ......" - it seems you have to block specific people which could be a long long, long list). If I go through a segment set up by someone else, (which is what happened with the thing that happened a few weeks back), they find out anyway. If that segment was set up by a club, the whole club finds out
Come on Strava, do it (full privacy except for who I select), or I will go to endomondo too
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: penneck
Come on Strava, do it (full privacy except for who I select), or I will go to endomondo too

i'm not sure Strava check this forum for feedback  Crazy
Fixes: 105

Strava seems to be very much a 'social' app.
Will Moderate For Thanks