cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users think M$'s "XP will expire" is adware ;-)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Users think M$'s "XP will expire" is adware ;-)

From  the inq
"A lot of customers are asking me what it is and I'm having to remote into their computers to verify that it is legitimate," he said. "Last week was pretty bad as I had dozens of calls. The jobs are too small to be chargeable and they're also unnecessary.
"Microsoft has never done this before. They've never needed to put a splash screen on Windows and it almost smacks of panic."

And I love the quote at the end:
Tilley didn't have much nice to say about Microsoft, and said that the nag screens are intended to get users to spend money upgrading their software, rather than warning of Windows XP problems
"This is more about Microsoft trying to push people to buy a new OS, rather than any problems with XP. XP is so old it's pretty much fixed and if you have a good firewall and servers, your machines should be protected behind them,"

Lips are sealed
21 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Users think M$'s "XP will expire" is adware ;-)

If people took more notice of what M/S update(s) that are installing, they will see the 1 for the
Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Must admit I never take any notice of them myself. I only install service packs and don't bother with the updates and patches as there have been far too many cases of computers refusing to boot etc afterwards. Time and time again MS have proven that they can't be trusted to rollout their fixes reliably.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I always check what updates are being offered and only install those that deal with security issues or that may be of use rather than just accept all of them willy-nilly.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
Must admit I never take any notice of them myself. I only install service packs and don't bother with the updates and patches as there have been far too many cases of computers refusing to boot etc afterwards. Time and time again MS have proven that they can't be trusted to rollout their fixes reliably.

I haven't heard of a single ms update that bricked anything, unless you are referring to the anti botnet update(s) that caused boot problems in infected machines (and that was still the case with the service packs)
now on the other hand I have heard of several cases of manufacturers updates junking parts or entire systems, NVidia, ATI, MacAfee are all big ones that spring to mind (as they caused hundreds of pounds worth of hardware failures which in some cases caused thousands of pounds worth of losses) and Apple as released several updates that intentionally bricked devices or systems then either charged people to unbrick them or straight up refused to offer any help for the customers ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

SO you haven't heard of the <many> times that M$ released a "patch" then it was removed rolled back after user complaints about crashed machines etc?
This has happened several times over the past few years.
PitchBlack
Grafter

I saw something on TV last week, interviewing a Chinese business man. He wasn't happy as he said most of the people in China are still using XP.
"But in China, 72.1% of the country's computers relied on the soon-to-retire operating system last month, or nearly three out of every four systems."
nanotm
Pro

I've heard of several times when updates have caused problems on compromised machines which have resulted in additional steps being added into the update process like rootkit removal tools , but not a single case of clean systems being adversely affected by ms update's where the OS wasn't an illegal copy......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I had a friend's XP PC to repair, where the Windows automatic updates had applied some patches,  but after reboot the machine blue screened.
I was given the PC to see whether the hardware was still alive (it was) and to reformat the HDD and reinstall XP.
I did a clean install, cleanly applied each service pack and updates, but every time it got to SP3 the same blue screen appeared.
I repeated this cycle several times, but eventually worked out which specific hotfix was causing the blue screen.
I contacted the PC manufacturer and they told me it was a known issue and sent me an alternative version of the Microsoft hotfix, and the problem was solved.
This was a Windows issue, and NOT a device driver or optional install.
nanotm
Pro

You just pointed out it was an issue with specific manufacturers hardware and they provided a version of the hot fix specific to there hardware, how does that preclude it from being a driver based problem?
out of more than 30 randomly cludged together systems that I came into contact with over the last 8 years only a Dell system had such a problem, and far from it being down to M$, it was caused by some change that Dell had made to their OEM setup (or more specifically one of the bundled spyware programs they shoved on there)
and its been my experience in general that the OEM flavours of OS's are like that, and result in problems further down the road, often just after the support period has ended and for a fee they will  "fix the problem" whilst blaming M$ for the customers woes
Community Veteran

As I have said before I used to support M$ (3rd line support on server & desktop) and I know what I am talking about. I supported over 40K machines spread over a city.
The issues with M$ service packs (and others like McAffe) are well known. You keep your rose tinted blinkers on mate and everything will be rosy & fine for you.
TORPC
Grafter

It was only this year that a update was pulled by M/S as it affected Avast AV users & (that was not O/S specific either)
If those that don't / won't believe the facts, then how can we / us & the likes of Google et al help them out ?Huh

Edit:
Just look at

Also look at WSJ's report for 8.1 update around 10/21/2013 where M/S pulled their own update that affected their own device(s)
http://live.wsj.com/video/microsoft-pulls-windows-update/09E194F1-5C40-439B-9DE6-E169942991E3.html#!...
Can be found by those who knows how to use any decent search engine, including Quack Quack go Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro

Right and other OS makers have never rolled out updates that stop systems from working when anything other than the reference hardware/software build is in use.... At least the majority of hard/soft ware is tested and compliant with M$ specs and your not left needing to perform kernel changes and library rebuilds with the majority of updates....
name an OS company other than M$ that natively supports the majority of common hardware options out of the box without needing to perform multiple searches for necessary files for each part, or an OS company that doesn't limit the consumers ability to add/upgrade parts at will without limitation on choices.....
i actually can't name one in the consumer marketplace and come to that i can only think of one in the corporate environment......
TORPC
Grafter

Would you like to name & shame that / them companies, that you refer to ?Huh
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
It was only this year that a update was pulled by M/S as it affected Avast AV users & (that was not O/S specific either)
If those that don't / won't believe the facts, then how can we / us & the likes of Google et al help them out ?Huh

Edit:
Just look at

Also look at WSJ's report for 8.1 update around 10/21/2013 where M/S pulled their own update that affected their own device(s)
http://live.wsj.com/video/microsoft-pulls-windows-update/09E194F1-5C40-439B-9DE6-E169942991E3.html#!...
Can be found by those who knows how to use any decent search engine, including Quack Quack go Roll eyes

and which of those patches wasn't a problem caused by 3rd party vendors without a windows certificate on there program (so non compliant) which then lead to the problem Huh?
the 8.1 update was down to the none standard way the directory was installed on products (a massive problem with windows 8 derivatives) but not a problem that is M$'s fault directly as they have no control over what additional stuff people wish to install and use, yet the media likes to blame M$, bizarrely you didn't see the same clamour from them whenever apple released an update that bricked peoples iphones /ipads or when the great mac revolution hit a stumbling block because the forced update bricked the disk drives, look at various Nix Distro's where its common practice to completely backup your library files prior to performing any updates so you don't brick your system, lets look at android, a system that you cant update without some serious effort from one version to the next (my 2.4.2 tab went in the bin because it couldn't update to 4.x and the store became inaccessible through successive update failures)
then look at M$, who's consumer platforms are supported to a massive level (largely for free) when they do release something that causes problems there all over it like a rash exploring the problem(s) and working on fixing it or telling the guilty manufacturer to get there act together pronto, something no other OS company has done
as for naming or shaming, why bother when to reuse your own phrase; anyone with half a brain can look it up,  I might appear blinkered but in reality I'm just not a fanboi of anything that doesn't let me do what I want with it (like the horrible customisable apple junk) then again I also dislike M$'s constant driver problems every time theres a new generation of GFX or sound cards ....