cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless gimmick ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Useless gimmick ?

Just seen and ad on telly, for a phone that uses "wireless" charging.....
I seems you have this charger unit, ( that presumably, you keep plugged into the mains )... and then... when your phone needs charging, you just lay your phone on it..
Erm... isn`t this just a Useless gimmick to try to sell phones ! ? ? ?  If you have to have the charger plugged into a mains socket... then it`s really not so different to actually plugging your phone into the charger ?  does it warrant the extra expense ?  Huh
45 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Useless gimmick ?

Confession: I have one but I wouldn't call it useless Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shutter
Just seen and ad on telly, for a phone that uses "wireless" charging.....
I seems you have this charger unit, ( that presumably, you keep plugged into the mains )... and then... when your phone needs charging, you just lay your phone on it..
Erm... isn`t this just a Useless gimmick to try to sell phones ! ? ? ?  If you have to have the charger plugged into a mains socket... then it`s really not so different to actually plugging your phone into the charger ?   does it warrant the extra expense ?  Huh

welcome to 2 years ago!
inductive charging has been in phones for a good couple of years now.
i know you're getting on a bit, but you should at least try to keep up with modern technology!
it saves you having to find the end of the cable and plug it on to your phone.
you can simply just place your phone down and it starts charging automatically.
Community Veteran

Yeah..... that is really difficult, ....... normally,... I find the end of the cable, attached to the charger unit that is plugged into the mains.... 
but very often, it is hidden away in the kitchen drawer, where it is kept for safe keeping, and out of the way of the cookery department...
I mean.... If you have to leave the "wireless charger" on show and plugged in...... isn`t that the same as leaving the wired charger plugged into the same location?  how difficult would it to be, to find the end of the cable, to plug it in, in that situation?
C`mon... keep up with tech?  because it is difficult to find the charging cable...........  you gotta be kidding me...... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The micro-usb or lightning port of modern phones is one of the most vulnerable parts to damage for many people (particularly when plugged in), it's also one of the most difficult parts to waterproof / dustproof.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 121

Can you charge more than one phone on these wireless charges at one time?
While agree in principal with shutter I can also see the benefits for many people who may not find it so easy to plug the micro USB in due to a disability.
Having seen the prices of the chargers I wouldn't currently (no pun intended) buy one nor would I specifically get a phone that utilises it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Is this the same as how you charge a landline handset?
John

Not in my case.
The landline phone charges via contacts on the bottom.
My mobile charges inductively.
I tend to agree about the micro USB socket.
Mine sits on the bedside table and I put my phone on it at night to charge.
It doesn't provide as fast a charge as the cable but overnight is fine.
The cable I used to use often dropped behind the bedside table from where I had to rescue it.
Anyway...I like gadgets Smiley
Community Veteran

Most cordless phones have metal contacts, these are contactless.

Something similar on a larger scale...: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25621426
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks Strat & w23 - understand now.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What stops the charger drawing power when a phone is not being charged? With a plug in charger I'd think post people turn them off on as they connect/disconnect the phone to the charger - with the lazy way to charge I bet they'll forget.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

It would be easy enough to incorporate a suitable proximity sensor (I don't know if they do).
Many people (my kids) don't unplug or switch off corded chargers.
A well designed charger should consume very little power when idle (but many are cheap so maybe do consume a fair bit when idle).
Call me 'w23'

Mine is plugged into the mains all the time as are a few other such devices.
The charger draws 0.5 watt with no phone on the pad.
Community Veteran

@ strat....yeah.. I know you are a gadget freak.... and that is just what market it is aimed at..... the freaks ! ! ! ...
as for being designed with the disabled in mind...... I doubt it...
although, I can see it as a beneficial item to some with  difficulty handling small plug in thingy`s.... it`s still an expensive gadget...
My wired phone charger is permanently plugged in... I have a strip of sockets just under my desk in the "knee hole".. and the cable hangs down until needed... so it`s really very easy to find it when I need it to plug into my phone....  Cheesy

Gimmicks and gadgets drive technology forward and become the norm.
As for 'freak', best not look it up on http://www.urbandictionary.com if you are of a delicate disposition Wink