cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful tools

Fixes: 37

Re: Useful tools

@7up I have one of these and have found it very useful for small fiddly jobs.

71-moA3BjQL._AC_UL115_

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Yeah i've seen those but finding a completely smooth flat surface for the vacuum to successfully adhere to is problematic. I even tried to stick one to the floor in Aldi and it came loose from that in less than 20 seconds!

Admittedly sticking on a plastic sheet might be a good idea - then it can be placed wherever its needed instead of just at the edge of the desk like the screw under version.

For the money though they are very handy to have. The only problem I found is the rubber pads on the jaws come off quite easily and can be easily lost. Mind you the cat that used to love rubbing his scent all over mine is now deceased so maybe i don't need to worry about that anymore.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just had a look on ebay for hobby vices... I chuckled when i saw this one - work "holder", "grip" LOL Grin:

screenshot_534

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 27

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HBS0I0

And considering the workout it gets its not failed me yet, not to mention the price.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Best tool is a toolbox!

A cheap one is convenient...

http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/1605P_P&$prodImageMedium$

Community Veteran

Plastic toolboxes aren't worth the recycled black sacks robbed from the dump that they're made from. I've had loads of them over the years and they never last long unless they're lightly used like the one i keep my electronics tools in - and even thats got a big crack in the lid.

I've now switched to metal toolboxes.

As for the Stanley brand, go and try one of their fat max stud detectors. The damn things are dangerous. Mine was detecting live AC wiring in a plastic toolbox and even in the double glazed glass of the back door! I took it back to B&Q and asked for a refund, she couldn't believe me when i said it was cheap over priced tat. At that point i went to take my battery out of it and the battery compartment broke right in front of her Grin For £40 they got a lot of nerve.

@Mook yours looks the business but i don't like Stanley stuff as much as i once did. See the above.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I find my 12" adjustable spanner to be a useful tool, it's great for undoing large nuts that are bigger than what I have in my socket set, it's a crude hammer, and, should the need arise, it'd make a great burglar alarm, cos the burglar will be very alarmed to see it swinging towards their cranium... Knuppel

As for toolboxes, I have two, one filled with junk, the other filled with a few tools and a load of Sharpies, my actual tool carrier is a Lidl cloth carrier bag, them things are tough bags for something that was cheap... Smiley

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 27

7up wrote:
Mook yours looks the business but i don't like Stanley stuff as much as i once did. See the above.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

It really is a good vice, in fact I can't get enough of it. Cheesy But with that said it is a hobby bench vice not a Fat Max detector two totally different things so hardly comparable.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I have a cloth tool bag in the car, with the usual assortment of tools in it, spanners, hammer, 17/19mm socket on extension etc.
I have several plastic toolboxes usually patched with duck tape - another essential though not a tool as such.
I also have a large metal toolbox in the shed too heavy to use all the time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

SWMBO says I already have too many vices.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Another useful item is THIS (10X Magnifier Head Magnifying Glass Lens Loupe with LED Light)

Find it invaluable these days for close up work, or just reading small print on labels etc.

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:
I also have a large metal toolbox in the shed too heavy to use all the time.

Yes same issue here. They're quite light when empty but the moment you empty the reasonable weight plastic box into the metal one the metal one weights half a ton.

I have another unused metal box still in its cardboard box from Halfords. I really should start putting stuff in it but two boxes vs one is a bit of a faff.

As for the number of boxes... Two metal, two plastic (used for storing rarely used tools), 3 plastic socket set boxes, 2 rotary tool boxes and then the shoulder bag thing. It's a menace trying to store them all but not having any family to call on for help I've learned that i can only rely on me to get stuff done and thus the tools are pretty essential. OH hang on I forgot the two plastic ones for electronic tools lol.

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

7up wrote:
Mook yours looks the business but i don't like Stanley stuff as much as i once did. See the above.

It really is a good vice, in fact I can't get enough of it. Cheesy But with that said it is a hobby bench vice not a Fat Max detector two totally different things so hardly comparable.

It's still Stanley though. They've dropped down to Drapers level. Draper sell good and bad stuff - depends how much you're willing to pay them.

Stanley though.. well at £40 it looks like they still sell bad stuff no matter what you pay.

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:

Another useful item is THIS (10X Magnifier Head Magnifying Glass Lens Loupe with LED Light)

Find it invaluable these days for close up work, or just reading small print on labels etc.

I need to get one of those, i just never seem to get around to it.

I have one of these for up close inspections and its super powerful but thats no good if i need to use my hands!

Community Veteran

That was the issue with magnifying glasses etc, you need 3 hands to use them and do something else. I really wanted a large desktop illuminated one but the cost was prohibitive, I find I can just put this on and do the job, if I need to just use my eyes (mk1) then it hinges out of the way. I tried using higher value reading glasses but found I had to be very close to what I was looking at to be able to focus. With this I can solder and still not get a face full of fumes.