cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful iPhone app

Community Veteran

Useful iPhone app

I've just come across this application, which is designed to show you your remaining usage allowances for providers of different services – broadband, phone, transport, and so forth. And of particular interest to us is that the app actually supports Plusnet, thus making it the first piece of software (for any platform) that I've seen which interfaces at all with PN. I assume it's just scraping data from the VMBU webpage rather than using some kind of secret API (I remember PN did once have plans to introduce an API for things like this…) but still, I think it could be quite useful. It also supports O2 mobile phones (contract and Pay & Go), and Oyster cards too.
Edit: forgot to mention that the advantage of this over the VMBU portal page is it gives you an idea of if you're using up your usage too quickly or not, which is quite handy if you're trying to avoid going over your included allowance (Unlimited users, stop looking all smug).
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Useful iPhone app

Smug us? I thought the application was gonna be android for the iPhone Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
csogilvie
Grafter

Well, it's the first released bit anyway ;-)
I really should have gotten around to finishing the couple of VMBU things I'd started hacking on 3+ years ago.
Not sure it's fully worth the £1.19 though...
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've installed it, but it's misbehaving at the moment (i.e. failing to update). Not sure if that's 3g related or what - I know that the username and password are correct. I've tweeted bjango, will let you know what the reply is though as he's in the land down under we may be waiting a while for a reply. Maybe it'll work over wifi when I get home, we'll see.
Community Veteran

Thanks for being brave and trying it Matt – will be interested to hear how you get on. The app's apparently based on ‘recipe’ text files which can be easily updated without an update (via the iTS) to the application itself so perhaps something just needs to be tweaked.
Quote from: cso
Well, it's the first released bit anyway ;-)

Bit of what – an API? Huh
Quote from: cso
Not sure it's fully worth the £1.19 though...

My thinking is that it's worth £0.59 per service, as apps such as My Oyster and Mobile Allowance are 59p each. So if one can get at least two uses out of the app then I reckon it's useful – and it cuts down on a little bit of app clutter too.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah I checked that, apparently PN is on recipe version 3.0 - though I couldn't see anywhere I could go to download a new one or indeed update the current. It'd be nice to have an option to mess about with these, or at least display the recipe files somewhere.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

be careful what you watch on your I phone http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8459898.stm Wink
Community Veteran

Did you ever get this working Matt? The app's gone down to 59p today so I'm considering picking it up if the Plusnet bit of it actually works!