Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Smart Phones.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Used Smart Phones.

@Minivanman Did you try musicMagpie? They seem to offer something - even for older phones.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

That was the first one I tried @jab1 but found posting a bit confusing - but there again even ebay has me scratching my head. Perhaps I should give it another go or even easier than easy, one of those local for sale sites on fb.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Strange, @Minivanman - I found it super-easy, as did my decidedly non-techie sister. I'd give it another go.

And personally, I'd not use FB, but that's just because I don't like its business model.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman wrote:

Talk about a throw away society, I don't even bother putting paintbrushes in white spirit to clean off any more as they are so cheap to bundle buy. Does anybody? 

The last time I used a paint brush, must be about 30 years ago, when I was painting my narrowboat,. doing the "roses & castles" and the signwriting of the name and reg number.

Still got the little pots of paint. and the brushes though. ! ! !

( just in case...... ) 

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

...  or even down to the charity shop as @RobPN suggested. 

@Minivanman 

Not all the charity shops (at least where I live) take them.  I can't remember how I found out which one in my town accepted them, whether it was word of mouth or phoning (I remember I did phone several though).  I think they probably collect them up until they have enough to sell to whoever buys them for scrap.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Community Veteran

I read that article earlier. It's a nonsense. Take your gadgets to the tip / recycle them for a tiny bit of a rare element in them.

That's not what I would call recycling more like an utter waste of what are often perfectly still good usable items.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I don't think "taking them to the tip" as suggest by that Stuart Price mean they are being dumped, are they not sent on to somewhere else?

There is also this

"Whenever you like, and without buying anything new, you can also take to your local Currys PC World store any electricals or electronics you no longer want for free recycling . We accept everything from computers to toasters, and floor cleaners to TVs, whether bought from us or someone else"

As well as those two mobile phones, I also have an old Windows 7 Samsung (with a couple of buttons missing) ten inch laptop - I just need to find the power lead first before I can clear it of all data and as I have now done with the phones.

PS. If anybody knows a shortcut on how to clear that laptop, please share. :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman wrote:

PS. If anybody knows a shortcut on how to clear that laptop, please share. :smiley:

Remove the hard drive.... and then smash it to smithereens, with a 4lb lump hammer... if you have a bbq put it on there afterwards ... all the files and folders will be toast quite quickly.  !

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I had something more subtle in mind @shutter - and I'm not sure the neighbours (or my burgers) would appreciate those toxic fumes.

Good idea otherwise :thumbsup:

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

I don't think "taking them to the tip" as suggest by that Stuart Price mean they are being dumped, are they not sent on to somewhere else?

Dumped scrapped reduce to parts to extract so called rare elements which would be better leaving in place and using if it's still working.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Nah, we all want new - don't we?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If they contain such rare elements, then they're more than welcome to pay me for the gadgetry I own, otherwise I'll just hang onto it all, cos it's mine... :laugh: