Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Smart Phones.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Used Smart Phones.

Anybody here know if there is a market for used smart phones.

We now have three knocking around the house after recently buying a new one. Maybe we should have used them in part exchange.:sad:

27 REPLIES 27
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

Re: Used Smart Phones.

I bought mine second hand off EBay.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ebay (though beware of dodgy buyers who claim it was lost in transit or smashed in the post and send back a similar broken one), give one to a person who has just dropped theirs down the toilet, use as a toy for a kid who wants to play games on it, use as a mini-tablet on wifi only, use as an IP camera, use with FrameLapse or similar apps for timelapse photography, use as a remote control for various TV services, etc.... Smiley

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

See what https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk will offer you for them - I and a couple of friends got good prices  for phones and iPads.

Postage to them is free and you get the offered price back within 48  hours - or less.

John
Community Veteran

Never had no real problem buying or flogging mobiles on ebay but if you're not that bothered what you'll get for them there are plenty of pawn and mobile shops on the high street that will buy them.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Thanks guys, will check 'em out.

Just seems daft having them stuck in the draw with old bits of string, pens, and other non throw away stuff we all seem to accumulate. 

:thumbsup:

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman Another one to try is CEX....sold my old one to them when I replaced it:thumbsup:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@twocvbloke wrote:

Ebay (though beware of dodgy buyers who claim it was lost in transit or smashed in the post and send back a similar broken one), give one to a person who has just dropped theirs down the toilet, use as a toy for a kid who wants to play games on it, use as a mini-tablet on wifi only, use as an IP camera, use with FrameLapse or similar apps for timelapse photography, use as a remote control for various TV services, etc.... Smiley

Like 2cv says, there's plenty of uses for them if they're still serviceable with a working battery.

I got an old Samsung galaxy young knocking round here with no battery but if i could lay my hands on one i'd certainly put the thing to use - first thing to spring to mind is a dynamic dns client.

Thing is they don't even need to be modern phones - the one i just mentioned is running android 2 but could still be put to good use like so many others.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Spent some of the morning online trying to sort out selling the two smart phones the Mrs no longer uses, and now I'm more confused that ever. I never appreciated there were so many models, so many types and so many providers!

And are they locked into whatever, well I have no idea neither can I fathom out the real (if any) value - so how much are they worth? 

I saw one Nokia 735 which looks the same as one she used going for a fiver, another for thirty quid and would you Adam and Eve it, nearly a hundred. Same with the other one which is an older Samsung Galaxy Ace Là Fleur.

Anyways, have emailed one buyer to try and get some sort of handle on it all and in the meantime I'll just hang on to them. 

Thanks again for your help guys. :thumbsup:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman 

If you don't manage to sell them, rather than throw them away it's worth asking (phoning?) some of the many charity shops on most high streets whether they accept donated phones for re-cycling.

They contain tiny amounts of gold and Rare-earth elements of which there are finite amounts and will eventually run out, so it's good to get them re-cycled.  :wink:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Sounds like a plan. Cheers Rob.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

so how much are they worth? 

A fairly easy way to find that out is to enter the phone make and model into the ebay search box. Then when the result comes up, on the left hand side tick "sold listings" then "UK only" then "used". Then up the top where it says "sort" pick "highest price + p&p". Then use your judgment to pick a price taking into consideration the phones condition and what it comes with. I usually take a price from say a quarter of the way down the page.

For a Nokia 735 that looks to be around £29.95 total.

With the Ace best to enter the model number as there are different ones like Ace (the first one) S5830i

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Email back from one place I have tried.

info@webuyanygadget.com

12:58 (3 hours ago)

to me

Hi Graham, 

Thanks for your email. 

We are not currently taking in the Nokia 735 and Galaxy Ace Fleur models. 

Kind Regards

WeBuyAnyGadget.Com

Oh well, ebay here I come. :sad:

Community Veteran

I've found that a lot of these webuyanygadget / car don't. Or if they do you'll get offered a quid for the phone / car they really don't want. Most are just after the latest Samsung or Apple for which they will offer a fraction of its real worth.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

My Mrs said "but the phones are old" completely missing my point that they should not be calling themselves webuyanygadget.

Ah well back to the drawing board... or back in the back of the draw or even down to the charity shop as @RobPN suggested. 

Talk about a throw away society, I don't even bother putting paintbrushes in white spirit to clean off any more as they are so cheap to bundle buy. Does anybody?