cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of 'smileys'

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Use of 'smileys'

When anyone makes comment on a topic, there is a section entitled 'Additional Options' which reads,
Notify me of replies. 
Return to this topic. 
Don't use smileys. 

The first and second choices remain 'locked on' on subsequent posts, the third (the choice of use of smileys), does not.
Is this a 'fault' or is it by design ?
Perhaps it could be made to stay 'on' as a choice ?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Use of 'smileys'

I suspect it's by design; the only use for the option is if the parsing of code results in erroneous smilies being identified and substituted in where it's supposed to be code, which is just an occasional problem.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I suspect it's by design; the only use for the option is if the parsing of code results in erroneous smilies being identified and substituted in where it's supposed to be code, which is just an occasional problem.

Thanks for the information. But what does it mean please?
Community Veteran

Which bit of it doesn't make sense? Most of it is 'normal' English; the only thing I can see that might cause confusion is 'parsing'. This is when the forum software examines what you enter as your post content, and sees if it can find anything it needs to deal with - such as smilies, or UBBC code tags (the ones that enable italics, bold, and so forth). Normally, the software would turn text such as 'Smiley' in to a smiley, but if that text was not supposed to be a smiley, you would enable the option you're enquiring about.
(Indeed, I had to enable the option for this post so you see the 'Smiley' rather than the smiley image that would normally replace it.)