cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Breakdown

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Usage Breakdown

In the Broadband forum I asked about the purpose of usage breakdown and one reply was, 'Or a rough and ready idea if your WiFi is being hacked when you see excessive traffic on a category you don't normally use much.
With this in mind how could anyone prove that you were personally responsible for uploading/downloading any specific thing providing such was not on your computer ?
In short can you be held responsible for how your broadband is used if others could illegally access it ?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Usage Breakdown

Most WiFi routers allow you to specify the MAC addresses of the devices allowed (or to reject specific devices) to access your service. While it is possible for hackers to spoof the MAC address, it is a considerable defence against casual users piggy backing on to your service.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Forget about the non-security of MAC address filtering or attempting to hide the network name. The WPA password is the only meaningful security.
If someone was repeatedly accessing your wifi without permission, you should be able to catch them, since they would need to be somewhere physically nearby, and you could have a computer monitoring and recording all wifi traffic (e.g. Linux + wireshark).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the responses but I think you missed the point I was trying to raise, which was, can you be held responsible for anything uploaded or downloaded on your connection ?
Your ISP would have some record of sites that had been visited but this is not evidence that you personally accessed those sites ?
I Know (or think) it's purely hypothetical that someone could use your connection and you could be totally unaware of this but could you be held to account for such usage ?
kmilburn
Grafter

From what I am aware,  the ultimate answer is no, you wouldn't be liable.
But that's not going to stop them from assuming it is you and persuing things until either you capitulate, it reaches court, or they decide they're likely to lose and abandon it.
Whichever way it goes,  it'll cause of lot of hassle.
Fixes: 47

Some would suggest it's up to the owner of the equipment to ensure it is secure enough to prevent illegal usage by a third party.
Subsequent illegal activity as a result of failure to secure the equipment could render the owner partially or totally  liable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

So I can hold car manufacturers and the government responsible for speeding? They've provided the conduit after all..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Some would suggest you could.........I didn't say I would Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Last month I noted that I had a useage labelled " Broadband Phone", not much but I do not have WiFi or a PN Phone anyway. Could this be a hijack or some overnight router/bt discussion?
Huh
Razer
Grafter

Is it not the case that chatting over an IM program is done via VOIP?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Ah, Colin, that's where my Skype usage has gone, I've got your USENET.
Community Veteran

You are very welcome in that case, it did puzzle me to see it. Thankfully you are not of evil intent (?).