Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urge to buy up to date TV

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Urge to buy up to date TV

It Must be ten years since we bought our Panasonic HD Ready 32". The boss didn't want anything bigger, but as the overall dimensions for a larger screen are very similar to mine for a 40"/43" screen, the larger size and beter definition would be welcome.

We, however, have only Freeview Lite, so we watch and record Freesat via a Humax Freesat PVR. There are a few Freesat TVs, but I so not see any benefit from them; possibly the opposite. On the assumption that last thought is correct, what make &/or model 40/43" would you consider, were you buying given your own experiences?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Urge to buy up to date TV

I'd steer clear of having too many features built in to the TV, as they are rarely updated by the manufacturer. Concentrate on best screen quality.  Use external devices to add functionality.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

We recently ( about a year ago ).. "upgraded" to a 42" screen hanging off the wall,   got it from Curries ( yeah  I know ) PC world, but where else is there  ? ?   it was about £250  we bought it, purely on size, and price... I`m not sure if there was one working in the shop, but we should have checked out how the thing worked...  

Yes, it works fine... but the EPG and remote to change channels is a nightmare....To change channel, or find out what programmes are on which channel, you have to press the EPG button.  When viewing the EPG menu , it shows the channels in a list, but at the top of the EPG menu,  it shows  THE NEXT PROGRAMME description on the channel.... so you do not know ( unless you have previously checked ) what the current programme contents are..   You cannot scroll through the channels, and see the channel/program title at the bottom of the screen... you have to "select" the channel by using the Up/Down arrows on the remote whilst looking at the EPG menu. then when you have decided which one to view, you have to "select" with the central OK button, and then click the EPG button again, for it to be removed from the screen..   Sometimes the EPG is slow in appearing, and repeated pressing of the EPG button, only confuses the circuitry, and eventually it can freeze .... necessitating a "re-boot" by switching off at the mains.. ( the stand by button has no effect at this stage ! ) ..

The name of the telly is "Polaroid"... pic quality is good,.... sound quality is "alright" ... ,according to the missus ( I can`t hear it as I`m almost deaf!)  ( so I watch only progs with subtitles, or watch on another telly with phones )..

So to sum up. my recommendation ........ check how the remote control works, on the one in the shop, before making a decision on purchase.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

We got a LG television about 18 months ago as the previous one packed up, seems ok and the picture is clearer, has hdr or something like that however on the old tv which was a led screen average picture but no reflection on the screen, this new one has a better picture but there is a lot of reflection on the screen. sure you could sit in the dark and watch it but most people have some sort of light on when viewing.

Also note that TV's on display have a good picture but some play direct from a dVd so when you get it home the picture is not as good using a ariel and you wonder why.

Like @shutter my hearing is poor so I bought a sound bar, I am sure they can hear our tv miles away but I struggle to hear it.

Sure it has a range of options for sound output but therein lies the snag, you can only choose one option so I could use headphones but swmbo would hear nothing, as I understand it only one item can be connected via bluetooth so that is not a option unless someone knows different.

There are so many makes and models and prices I would be unable to make a recommendation, check the reviews and if you make a mistake it can always be returned in 14 days.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

We recently ( about a year ago ).. "upgraded" to a 42" screen hanging off the wall,   got it from Curries ( yeah  I know ) PC world, but where else is there  ? ? 

John Lewis or Richer Sounds. Both give you free 5yr warranties on TVs and both will price match and have far better reputations than Currys/PC World
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

@DaveyH  Hmm.... ok on John Lewis... never really thought about them..... "Knight and Lee" in Southsea would be the nearest... ( about same as pcworld ).. not easy  parking.. and missus is not good at walking.. so pcworld was probably the easiest place to go and see what was on offer... the Polaroid, could have been an "end of line"  or discontinued one.. but it was almost £100 cheaper than the cheapest 43 inch at John Lewis ..  thanks for the heads up, though. will bear it in mind, IF we need another ! ! ! ...

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

+1 for John Lewis and Richer Sounds.  Parking shouldn't be a problem as you don't have to go to a branch, just order online or over the phone.  Wink

You could view the item in another shop if you need to, then order from either JL or RS.

RS also sell 5-6 year warranties on many items which don't already include a free warranty.  Not your usual warranty though, if you don't use it over the life of the warranty you can claim the cost back!  OK, you'll need to remember to do so, so just put an alarm in your phone or elsewhere to remind you in 5-6 years!

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

If you watch all your programmes through your Humax, the definition does depend on the Humax tuner.  My cheap Hitachi TV has poor picture quality when using it as a 'free-standing' TV.  However, when using it as a monitor for the Humax HDR, the picture is superb, and it is HD so I get all the Freeview HD channels in full HD (1080p or 1080i) quality.

Technology has advanced quite a bit since I upgraded in 2011; I don't even know what some of the new abbreviations/acronyms mean any more.  I usually get What TV or Which TV or magazines of a similar name when I need to buy such things; they usually contain reviews of quite a few models.  If you subscribe to Which? magazine, they'll probably have a "Best Buy".

I got mine from Argos btw.

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

@Jonpe I thought what one saw on screen depended on the TV, which would upscale to its capabilities. Would this not happen with the becoming common UHD TVs?

I'll try to see some What TVs, and thanks for mention of Which, but of that I'm not a fan, tbh, but maybe that's some of its campaigning!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Champion

As I said, technology has advanced somewhat since 2011.  Yes, I was put off Which? when I brought something to their attention and they insisted on knowing my membership number; since I'm not a member I didn't have one and that was the end of the matter.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Does any one else remember Raymond Baxter demonstrating a liquid crystal panel on Tomorrow's World? It was a simple clear/opaque screen. At the time I wondered what uses might be found for such a device.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Bit like computers in the very early days, one or two experts expressed the view they would be of limited use and used by a few companies.

Amazing the difference between what people predict and what actually happens.

Fixes: 238

I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma TV at the end of 2010. The display is still superb with bright colours and black blacks.

Can't see it needing replacement for a number of years yet.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I’ve got a Samsung 40” about 5 years back got it delivered by Richer Sounds.

TV is fine, my main complaint is the remote uses blister switches which are [-Censored-]. I would have expected a better built remote for a TV that cost £1200 (at the time). I hardly ever use it, only use it to power on and off and the Sky remote to change channels. At least I can pick up a new Sky+ remote for around £12 at my local supermarket.
Jonpe
Champion

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Does any one else remember Raymond Baxter demonstrating a liquid crystal panel on Tomorrow's World?

They repeated a number of Tomorrow's World programmes a few years ago, and in one they were looking at TVs getting thinner and thinner; Bang & Olufsen was leading the way in making the CRT flatter and flatter.  The presenters commented that TVs might one day be so thin that you could hang them on the wall.