cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgradng my phone...

jojopillo
Grafter

Upgradng my phone...

Was thinking of getting a HTC Desire, any opinioins?
Jojo Smiley
13 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Upgradng my phone...

Get a BlackBerry.
David_W
Rising Star

HTC Desire is apparently very good.  I'm looking at the Nokia N900 myself to replace my iPhone, I just never phone anyone so maybe the iPhone 4 would be a better bet  Crazy
A review by The Register gave the Desire 90% so it's highly recommended.  Don't forget to shop around for the best deal, I'm looking at £25 p/m for the N900 (£2.99 for the first 9 months too!) so you should be able to get similar for the Desire.  I have no experience with Android though a caveat is it doesn't have the same controls over it's market place as Apple so you have to beware what you download to the mobile, but if you're interested in hacking your mobile, you can do that with an Android, and if you want to make your own programme, you can!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight
Get a BlackBerry.

I agree, get a blackberry
David_W
Rising Star

I think saying "get a blackberry" is a bit silly really.  Which blackberry model for instance?  Pearl, Bold or Storm?  Why get a blackberry over a Nokia, HTC, Sony, Android based, iPhone etc?
I went for the N900 because it comes with Linux on it (stripped down Debian) so is good if you want to tinker, as it has Linux it can also handle enterprise type stuff that a Blackberry can (and folding out keyboard) as well as touch screen and if you're really geeky you can upgrade from Maemo to Meego.  If you want a phone that "just works" the HTC Desire is perfect. 
So, can you clarify why your recommendation is a blackberry (without model)?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I've got a Blackberry Storm II. Nice phone, good email support for 5 email accounts (if your provider supports Blackberry Internet Connection). A reasonable selection of addons available from Blackberry Updates. Google maps works well, built in mapping and the MP3 playback is OK.
However, I have seen the HTC Desire - many more applications available on Android Marketplace, really good MP3 support, maps are supplemented by a built in compass (which makes for a brilliant application called Google Sky which works by simply pointing the phone at the sky and it shows you which constellation you are looking at.
Out of the two, given the choice now, I would probably take the HTC Desire, but I've got the BB contract for a little while now Huh
David_W
Rising Star

Does the Desire have GPS or AGPS?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I believe it's AGPS. The Blackberry Storm II also has AGPS, but this is dependant on your contract provider as well.
On the Storm II, GPS can be a little slow if you don't use it too often.
Community Veteran

My Blackberry which is a very nice mobile phone does phone calls, text messages and email.The other stuff I do on a computer
David_W
Rising Star

That's why I want the N900, it's not a mobile phone, it's a mobile computer that can also make phone calls (unlike the iPhone 4, which can't make phone calls if you're left handed.....).  If you're out and about and want to get from point A to point B, you can use a mobile with AGPS for an approximate location (depending on provider, approximate may be quite a distance) and use maps on your mobile.  If you're stuck on the train, having a mobile which can play music or let you surf the web can let the time pass, for long journeys a nice screen for playing a movie would be good.
There are many instances where having more than just a mobile will come in handy.  The N900 (again) has a front facing camera, you can use that with Google Chat for video calls over Wi-Fi, or over the 3G network like a normal video phone.  If (like me) you're lazy, you can set the phone up to collect your email while you watch Top Gear, and reply, having a good keyboard for that is paramount.
Sometimes you want a device that just has an edge, take my watch for instance.  All you really need a watch for is to tell the current time, but I live by the ocean so my watch can tell me the tide and also what phase the moon is, really good if I want to go out and want to see if the tide is in, without turning on my computer to check, it's telling me the tide is going out, it offers more than a basic watch because sometimes you need an object which can give you more.
Community Veteran

• Will you use your nokia phone instead of your computer?

• Where did you get your deal from at £2.99 per month for 9 months?

• Are You a Nerd?

David_W
Rising Star

1) Well, yes, I don't use my PC to make phone calls, or if I'm out to search the net for train times, get directions etc. or even to lay in bed and read an e-book
2) I used google, it's a redemption thing, you send in your phone bill every 3 months for cash-back
3) I've already posted in that thread.....  To put into context, I was reading Asimov when most kids were struggling with Spot Goes (my reading age was 16+ when I was only 6), I enjoy technology and getting technology to work for me.
I have a HD TV, why when SD works?  Because I have HD sources (blu-ray, ps3, 360 - used to have Sky HD will have freeview HD).  I have a computer and am in the middle of going through Linux from Scratch (just need to reinstall the VM and continue).  I believe that technology is there to be used the way *you* want to use it, and the way I want to use technology is to find out what I can do with it and technology can still amaze me daily.
I've spent more time playing with my iPhone than making phone calls on it, I've jail broken it, unlocked it, downgraded the firmware (which meant installing OSX on my non Mac laptop) but the iPhone system is too closed, the N900 isn't, it's open, it uses Maemo 5 but can be flashed to use Meego although I'd stick with Maemo until Meego is more stable and not just for developers.
Sometimes getting that little bit extra function can make a difference, I don't have a normal keyboard for instance, it's a Logitech G15, it has an LCD display but makes my life so much simpler because it tells me if I have an email, my mouse has more buttons than I have fingers and an LCD display too, it's a major difference in how I work with my computer and what I can do with it, is it "needed" for functionality?  No, a cheap £5 mouse/keyboard would do the basics, but with my mouse I can change the pads to alter friction, I can add weights to it, change the DPI on the fly, programme in macros, it's attention to detail, getting the most out of technology so that it makes my life easier and more comfortable, that is why just having a phone which can only make calls and send texts is a bit daft *for me* because I would use the functions on the phone, use the features, when I get my new motorbike I could use the maps to plot out drives around Cornwall and never get lost, it's the small things that matter and add up to huge differences.
But, you use a Blackberry, that is an enterprise level phone used by government ministers because of the security levels, it's not "just a phone" by any measure of the word anyhow.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@David W,  I use a BlackBerry because like you I like to get the most out of technology so that it makes my life easier and more comfortable.  I love knowing with a glance that Angela is calling with Angela's Photo popping up with the number.
The BlackBerry model that I use is: BlackBerry curve 8520
Community Veteran

@ David W
OK
*bows to David W and saves his username to list of contacts who really know stuff
Oh BTW I use my computer for phone calls more than my mobile phone  Tongue