cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Updates

Updates are I suppose a necessary evil to be put up with. But however the frequency of Tom Tom Sat Nav (Live models) is at times baffling, barely a day goes by without one or two updates being available (there were 2 today, 4 yesterday and 3 the day before that, and others last week) yesterday I left the device connected after the 4 updated had completed and another one came through as I was about to disconnect.
When I had a NavMan a couple of years ago, I was lucky if an update was offered once a year. I suppose I shouldn't complain and be thankful TT is on the ball, but it can be a bit irritating at times.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Updates

What are the updates for? Can't be the roads they don't change that often Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can tell you, but you'd have to pay first.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

The regular Tom Tom updates deal with the slight changes in the satellite orbit (QuickGPSfix)  and  Map Share Community updates.
I have also just installed a new UK & Ireland map.
I guess the QuickGPSfix is more important if you are driving in heavily built - up areas.
artmo - you don't need to pay me for that info!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo, I have to be brutally honest and admit I just get on and update without looking too hard what they are, largely to get rid of the constant pop-ups reminding me.
Quite a lot are minor changes home position as the small amount of satellite changes the GPS position by almost minuscule amounts.
Other "live" users can report (I've done it myself) if in particular road work speed cameras are still working, its quite common for them to still warn long after the cameras were removed. as a speed camera warn an option appears to advise TT if the camera is still operational.
Oddly, road layout changes occur more often than most people realise, especially if your sat nav covers Europe and Ireland as well.
These and others can generate updates.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.