cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up, Up and Away!

Community Veteran

Up, Up and Away!

There's a new addition to the London skyline today with the opening of a cable car linking the O2 Arena with the ExCel Centre.  It looks fantastic and should prove very popular.
Cable Car
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Up, Up and Away!

I bet that turns out to be quite popular...... although being scared of heights.... I won`t be on it !.... Just looking at the video gave my knees the wobblies !...
Not sure how the wind will affect them..... the vid showed a "slight" swaying movement, which could have been on a "quiet wind" day...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never been keen on cable cars either. Years ago I heard of a air force jet in another country flying through the cables of one and snapping them.
Whats going to be patrolling the london games along with helicopters?  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The cable car skims the top of the O2 so I don't think there will be any problem from low flying aircraft Crazy
Credit to Boris for getting it open for the Olympics, it's going to be a great attraction as Shutter said.  Also good to see Boris made good on him promise to make it cheaper to use than the London Eye. I think I'll wait until after the Olympics before I go for a trip.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes I must give him credit for making it cheaper than £18.90 then Roll eyes
I'll also give him credit for (no doubt) whacking at least 6% on Travelcard prices for next year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@ shutter, as somebody who doesn't like heights and get dizzy on a step-stool I sympathise.
However, I've never had a problem looking out of aircraft windows, been on a number of cable cars and several times on the London Eye without any problem. But a few years ago took some visiting German tourists to the highest point of St Pauls Cathedral (that tiny cupola right at the top of the dome) no power on earth would get me out of the door on to the slim walkway round it. And the rickety walkway up inside the dome to get to that point is something I will never forget and don't ever want to experience again.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I don't mind heights and always take full advantage of any views that can be seen from the top. Have to agree with Petlew about the London Eye, a great attraction and fantastic views across London from the top.  A great day out. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Never been to the London Eye.
Funny though, as someone who has worked in London for the last 13 years I've visited hardly any of the attractions.
A tourist spending a day in London could probably see more than I have. Smiley
Fixes: 47

I'm no good with heights but if I'm well strapped in I would be ok.
It would certainly be a stunning ride.
I get a tight chest watching someone else free climbing heights Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It should give a great view of the planes landing at City Airport. The planes on a fairly steep approach slope on to a thin runway with water either side. Adding the thrill of close encounters with a cable car will add to the enjoyment of landing at City Airport
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Has Eastenders updated the aerial photo in its opening credits to take account of this news?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: artmo
Credit to Boris for getting it open for the Olympics, ...

No. Credit to the engineers and technicians who designed built and tested it. When the first set of passengers is stranded over the Thames will you be equally keen to award the blame to Boris?

Community Veteran

The Mayor's department secured the Emirates sponsorship and also the £8m funding from the EU regeneration fund.  I think he deserves some credit, particularly as Ken was not in favour of the development.
Community Veteran

up,up and away of a different type
http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=61144
DAK is the green image HUD?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: artmo
The Mayor's department secured the Emirates sponsorship and also the £8m funding from the EU regeneration fund. 

The project was initially estimated at £25m of totally private funding. It cost £60m+ with much of the cost coming from TfL's budget. I don't doubt that it will be a popular tourist attraction whether it was the best use of public money I'm not so sure. It certainly doesn't give the impression of being a well thought out project.
Previously you wrote "Credit to Boris for getting it open for the Olympics, ...". A couple of months ago it was far from certain that it would be open in time for the Olympics. I merely wished to give credit to the workers who made it happen before time and I'm pretty sure Boris cannot take any credit for that.