cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unveiled: New £200 'smart' meters every household must pay for (but may not work

TORPC
Grafter

Unveiled: New £200 'smart' meters every household must pay for (but may not work

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681954/Unveiled-New-200-smart-meters-household-pay-not-work.html]A Government plan to put ‘smart meters’ into every British home – costing households £200 each – will be launched this week despite fears they will not work and that they pose a security risk to power supplies.
The £11 billion project, introduced to meet EU green targets, is supposed to cut down energy consumption and reduce bills.
But official reports seen by The Mail on Sunday reveal that: trials show consumers with smart meters save far less energy than predicted; five countries considering such a plan have decided it would cost more money than it saves; the meters do not work in a third of British homes, including high-rise flats, basements and those in rural areas: hackers and cyber-terrorists could break into the system  causing chaos in the national grid, or carry out large-scale fraud by fiddling bills.
Energy companies will begin the mass installation of smart meters next year at a cost of at least £200 per home, and have admitted the expense will be passed on to customers.
157 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Unveiled: New £200 'smart' meters every household must pay for (but may not work

Customers are already paying for them as it's part of the Green Taxes that's included in the bills, and the £200 must be an average as not all households have gas.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Unveiled: New £200 'smart' meters every household must pay for (but may not work

Reading the full article in the paper doesn't make sense - at one point it is claiming 'everyone will have to have these meters installed', then later that 'people can refuse to have them installed'.
Either way, reading the article and discounting the usual spin, it appears that (1) the technology to be employed doesn't work in 1/3rd of properties and (2) even where it does, the means of transfering the data to the energy supplier is suspect.
This leads me to ask why is it being rolled  out when it is not suitable for purpose, and who amongst those who have decided that is a 'good idea' has either shares in the company manufacturing the meters, or has been awarded a 'consultancy'Huh
John
Fixes: 47

Npower haven't rolled it out yet unlike some companies as they "want to get it right".
This is the first time I have seen a cost to the consumer mentioned anywhere.
In Npower's FAQ
Do I have to pay to have a smart meter installed?
No. We won't charge you for the installation of your Smart metering system. We're replacing the meters in all our customers' homes as part of a nationwide replacement programme. Under current arrangements you pay for the cost of your meter and its maintenance through your energy bills, and this will be the same for a smart meter.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jab1
Either way, reading the article and discounting the usual spin, it appears that (1) the technology to be employed doesn't work in 1/3rd of properties and (2) even where it does, the means of transfering the data to the energy supplier is suspect.

Technology employed is the Mobile telephone network so be surprised it will be as high as 1/3.
I had smart meters fitted nearly 5 years ago. I am on a day and night rate but the meter when installed only displayed total as the usage for the different rates are calculated from the reading taken every half hour. So my main compliant was that I did not have a method to check my usage, So after going back and forth and going to the recommended external organization for advice the meter was remotely reprogrammed to display total, night and day usage. But determining the bill still used the half hourly readings using the total usage. I then had 2 years telling the provider that their calculations were wrong with the Ombudsman agreeing with me.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

I was not only referring to the means of getting the data to the supplier, but also the comment in the article that the meters themselves don't work correctly in flats/houses like mine with stone floors &c.
John
itsme
Grafter

From my experience and seeing other systems the Electric Meter is the hub. So the main issue for the system is the location of the gas meter to the electric meter as the electric meter will be collecting the data from the gas meter to upload to the data centre. So there is a potential problem if the gas and electric meters are separated by same distance but in majority of flats where communal meter rooms are used they will be close.
As for the in-home display, I was not prepared to pay for this and I'm not sure whether these will be handed out free, these will be at a higher risk not working because of distance. For me it was not a problem as I could review my usage for the previous day on line. The electric usage was displayed in half hour intervals which in my opinion is enough information to change usage habits.
nadger
Rising Star

When we had gas installed, in 1985, we had the meter put in our detached garage so there's quite a distance between the meters as electric meter is under stairs.
Can't see that a smart meter would give us any savings apart from stopping the annoyance of a meter reader needlessly knocking every quarter when one gives readings on line.
Community Veteran

If I want to know how much energy an appliance is using I plug it into the power / energy meter that I bought off ebay for £1.
Seems to me the biggest benefit of the so called smart meter is in laying off a lot of meter readers and automating bills. This benefit is solely for the power company so why should I even pay a bean towards it?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
Can't see that a smart meter would give us any savings apart from stopping the annoyance of a meter reader needlessly knocking every quarter when one gives readings on line.

Quarterly readings are not normal and have to be requested and will only be accepted if you are old or disabled. The utility company may do this automatically if they know that you are in one of the categories.
Community Veteran

If this is the 2.4GHz version of Zigbee it will often fail due to Wifi interference too. And mobile coverage is poor in rural areas, especially indoors or close to large walls.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

arent smart meters just a way for these companies to tget the readings remotely.
so people like me then pay more, as I have decided to not give them my readings for 2 or so years now and paying a estimated price (which is lower than my usage).
I dont see how they can be advertised as helping the consumer, these only help the companies.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

It won't help me to 'reduce my consumption' - I already have everything that can be turned off when not in use/on powersave mode so configured. The only items not off when not in actual use are the TV and PVR - and that is because the TV doesn't have an 'off'' switch, and the PVR needs to powered to record programmes. Ooops - nearly forgot that the modem/router is always on.
John
Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk
I dont see how they can be advertised as helping the consumer, these only help the companies.

I think the same.
I cannot see how they are going to make a difference to energy bills - certainly they should not be placed in 'energy efficiency' category.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

agreed  Smiley