cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Untaxed vehicles in the UK doubles

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Untaxed vehicles in the UK doubles

Since the abolition of the vehicle tax disk the number of untaxed vehicles has doubled to 1.4% (BBC report). The DVLA introduced this to save £10 Million. The loss in tax revenue is £80 million. It will also mean an increase in uninsured vehicles.
About 40 years ago I worked, at the DVLC, on plans to scrap vehicle tax and recover the tax by adding to the tax on fuel. Even then it was proposed an annual vehicle licence disk would be retained. If I recollect correctly it would been £10 annual fee.  This was to ensure the MOT and Insurance certificates were checked.
A dumb move by the current DVLA management. Penny wise, Pound foolish.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Untaxed vehicles in the UK doubles

so if it has doubled then they were already losing £40 million a year before the change.
i'm not sure the correlation on increased uninsured vehicles though. road tax and insurance are not linked.
yes there is a chance that if a car isn't taxed then it's also not insured, but then you could also say that it doesn't have an MOT either.
has the number of cars without a valid MOT also doubled?
i'm not convinced that the removal of the little paper disc on display is the sole reason for an increase in untaxed cars.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

If a vehicle is insured but has no road tax (or MoT) at the time of an accident then the insurance company will use that as a reason not to pay out, making it in effect an uninsured vehicle so the correlation is 1-1. Also you must have tax and a valid MoT when you get insurance but these could easily be valid for a month or so when the insurance is bought, so when either of these expire without renewal then the vehicle is not 'fit' to be on the public roads.
Driving around without the required paperwork is stupid, and very inconsiderate, the time will come when the driver passes an ANPR camera and the rest will be history.
Community Veteran

Has it really increased?
Or has the rate of detection increased? Huh
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Or are people just forgetting to renew cos they don't have a piece of paper in the windscreen to remind them? Grin
Community Veteran

There were always a few 'chancers' who drove around without a valid disc displayed, now they must recon their risk of being caught is less than before, I'm not surprised that the numbers of untaxed vehicles has increased.
Those who choose not to tax their vehicle (as opposed to a few who forget) probably also choose not to pay for insurance or bother with MOTs.
I do wonder how they get the figures, if they know exactly how many untaxed vehicles are being used then they must know which untaxed vehicles are being used and should therefore prosecute the owners/registered keepers, if they don't know this then how can they publish figures?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@w23 they use something called statistics to get the numbers (remember the old saying "there's lies, dam lies and statistics").
Statistics are great they can be used to prove anything you want using the same data.
But yes the chances of being caught are low, unless you live in a large city with loads of ANPR cameras on the cop cars. I think I have seen ONE down here in the past year.
Fuel duty is a chancy business these days, what they should do is abolish the road tax and LEAVE the fuel tax the SAME it is already the highest in EU. They could claim they are reducing it by nn% using statistics.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Hairy
But yes the chances of being caught are low, unless you live in a large city with loads of ANPR cameras on the cop cars. I think I have seen ONE down here in the past year.

Up in the Scottish Borders there are lots of ANPR cameras mounted on the road side on the main roads, like the A1, A7, A68 etc. What actually happens when a car 'pings' the system I do not know, but with the number of them I know you could easily be tracked as you moved through them and I guess it wouldn't take long for the Police to be behind you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you have a car and it is not taxed, unless you have completed a SORN which allows you to keep it off the road and not pay tax then you are required to pay tax so why are there so many untaxed vehicles.
If you apply to keep it off the road and get clocked by a camera not only will you pay the fine but will also be guilty of fraud by making a false claim.
Even if you sell a car you are still responsible until you get the letter from the DVLA to confirm you no longer own the car.
So I still do not follow why it is claimed there are such a high number of untaxed vehicles.
As previously stated in the OP a tax should have been added to fuel, so the more you use your car the more tax you pay, seems common sense to me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

lets remember that it's not "road" tax.
the money you pay goes into general taxation, it is not linked to roads in anyway.
it has not been linked to roads since the 1950's i believe.
and with regards to fuel tax, we already pay plenty tax on fuel and pay VAT on top of the tax that has been added to it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
are people just forgetting to renew cos they don't have a piece of paper in the windscreen to remind them

That's one of the reasons I still have my old disc stuck on the windscreen.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Old tax discs might become collectors items, which means someone might break into your car and steal it,
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

me nephew got pinged by a roadside anpr camera (most of the cctv /crossing cameras are run through anpr) he got pulled over by the plod and advised his tax ran out in 10 minutes time (2350pm when he was pulled over) and they didn't want him to break the law (must of been a slow night) since he was 15 mins allowing for speed control from home he was forced to park off road and got a lift home to pay his tax before having to walk 5 miles back to his car and drive it back .... poor bugger ended up getting to bed at 4am up for work at 630.... still it was nice of them to save him the on the spot fine vehicle impound /towing /release fees and so on, they could have waited 10 mins then done him for driving without tax /insurance etc .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
As previously stated in the OP a tax should have been added to fuel

On top of the existing tax that's around 2/3 of the price at the pump?
Tax dodgers could just turn to heating fuel / (processed) used chip fat for Diesel vehicles or 'go green' and use plug-in electric vehicles which should be banned for evading road fuel duty anyway. Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Heating fuel (aka C2 Paraffin, or K2 Kerosene depending on which version of English you speak) would kind of work for a short while, but you would end up with burnt valves and a knackered engine as kero doesn't contain the lubrication additives they stick into diesel, plus, if people started using heating oil for car fuel, then the price of the stuff would rocket up to make up for the lost tax which many homeowners who rely on their oil-fuelled heating systems (no mains gas usually) would find distasteful...
As for veg oil, yeah, that works, used or fresh, but depending on the car, you could end up with a trashed fuel pump, unless you fitted heated lines to reduce the viscosity of the veg oil, but you'd also need to replace seals, hoses and other flexible components that would be ruined by processed biodiesel, and of course, if you have a Common Rail Diesel engine, forget it... Grin