cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsubscribing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unsubscribing

A fairly large quantity of my email inbox contains circulars and general junk mail. particularly from usually large shopping chains who pass my email address on to other outlets <where do they get it from if I don't actually give it to them, from my card details I suppose?>
Most have an Unsubscribe link. Many of which simply don't do anything. One of the worst offenders for this is Homebase, I've forgotten how many times I have unsubcribed to them but it makes no difference whatsoever I still keep on getting their junk emails. Sainburys is another serial offender. I've tried sending sharply worded mails to their "contact us" links to no avail.
Surely a request to unsubscribe should mean just that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
St3
All Star

Re: Unsubscribing

mark it all as spam and just delete it all or make a new e-mail Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Email the offenders and tell them they do not have your permission to use your details and they  have 10 working days to confirm they have removed your details from their computers or you will raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 121

I have only in the last week or so decided to unsubscribe from many of the mailing lists without any problems except for one.
Clicking on Unsubscribe opened a new browser page with an 'Unknown email' error - how does that happen!?
Have emailed them requesting they delete my details - still awaiting a reply.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The advice given is usually that in the case of real spammers (as opposed to "reputable" companies) it is a bad idea to unsubscribe. Any sort of reply confirms that the email address is active and encourages more spam.
As suggested above email filtering can be used to divert messages from repeat offenders to the bin.
Also a good idea to use alternative email addresses for different purposes so that ones deluged with spam can be abandoned.

Fully agree with you, there, alanf.
In my case they were all subscribed to by me many years ago. Over the last couple of years I've just deleted them but got fed up with that  Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I had one where I'd luckily given them a unique email address. When unsubscribing didn't work I found a genuine email address in their organisation and set up a redirect. No idea if they are still sending their emails to me!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well I just unsubscribed from the PN status emails. I got fed up with my email constantly being bombarded by emails about missing webmail stats, email problems and other issues that don't affect me. I only use PN broadband and rarely a pn email account for sending large files so webmail and all that other stuff is unimportant to me.
PN don't seem to realise that they could easily allow members to subscribe to different service update emails but instead you have to either have all or nothing  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Zavvi and The Hut are about to feel my Wrath, At the bottom of their emails you can ' click here ' to opt out, Trouble Is clicking It does nothing, Yet a link above and below It works, One for privacy policy and one for T&C. Funny that!!

Quote from: jelv
When unsubscribing didn't work I found a genuine email address in their organisation and set up a redirect. No idea if they are still sending their emails to me!
I like that idea. But who knows, maybe that address is bounced elsewhere Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So it will bounce back to the sender - they still get it back!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

An email to the respective CEOs may do the trick.
I have found that emails addressed to the CEOs generally go through to their private offices and read by a PA.
jim:green emails removed to protect from spam crawlers - replaced with image mod:end
Community Veteran

Thanks for fixing that Jim.
Community Veteran

Funnily enough, this very unsubscribing issue was covered on this mornings (Wed 14th Nov) "Watchdog Daily" programme.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Perhaps they read the PlusNet forums......  Cheesy to get ideas for the show !