cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecured Wi-fi

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unsecured Wi-fi

Just highlighting the internet icon on the system tray brings up a list of immediately local wi-fi's (presumably home systems as there is no industry nearby) there are at this time seven in the list.
I'm quite surprised that four of them by hovering the mouse pointer over them are described as "security type unsecured" the other three including mine are WPA2-PSK.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Unsecured Wi-fi

The only unsecured ones in my area belong to the caravan site 200 yards away.
No good to me as you still need to login to access it - how do they do that?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Log on to an unsecured WiFi is usually controlled by the Router/WiFi unit. In simple cases each username/password is individually set by the system manager. More powerful schemes involve password databases.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
No good to me as you still need to login to access it - how do they do that?

I've wondered the same thing. When I go to a local beach there's a caravan site there that shows as unsecured. It seems you get there front page as it were with caravan ads etc but if you try to access the internet through them then it asks for a password.
Community Veteran

My neighbour is with BT, his WiFi router broadcasts two signals, one WPA2-PSK, the other appears 'open'.
I've always thought the second signal converts his router into a BT 'hot spot'.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
you still need to login to access it - how do they do that?

It's most likely being done with a Transparent Proxy.
Once you've logged in, the proxy will stop redirecting traffic to the login page, and allow things to work normally.
itsme
Grafter

Would not say that once logged in that things work normally. In most case hotspots are controlled be a captive portal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal Not sure which captive portal BT Fon use but Fon use http://www.coova.org/CoovaChilli
kmilburn
Grafter

The captive portal provides the authentication service,  but you still need the transparent proxy to make it work.
How normally things work after that depends on how the proxy is configured.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

My router also has unsecured guest access with a login too. Very handy feature except for two things:
1) No one comes here and ever needs to use it
2) I can't remember the login details to even let anyone use it  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Can I assume that this isn't available on all routers (I have the TG585v7 & 8, 582n, Netgear DG834Gv5 and BT Homehub and I bet none of these will do it)?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

No it's not available on all routers. They'll usually make a point of mentioning it if they have it.
You could in theory set it up yourself using a wifi AP and then a http tunnel / proxy.. it would be a bit of work but you could probably do it using Indy sockets. I never tried it myself but I would imagine that you could create a windows service to run on a windows XP / 7 machine 24/7 (eg on a mini itx system).
You'd also need to possibly intercept the DNS requests..

Ok - you lost me after
You could in theory set it up yourself
Cheesy

Community Veteran

There used to be a freeware linux distro for mesh networking that supported it and could be run on just about any old hardware you had laying around. Can't remember the name of it now though Sad
Community Veteran

The TG585 does have MAC address control via its security settings.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
There used to be a freeware linux distro for mesh networking that supported it and could be run on just about any old hardware you had laying around. Can't remember the name of it now though Sad

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index very good firmware if you have a supported router
Quote from: AlaricAdair
The TG585 does have MAC address control via its security settings.

The above router firmware has a facility of reporting all WiFi devices, clients and access points, with their MAC's so easy to spoof other devices.