cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsecure wifi - I was surprised

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Unsecure wifi - I was surprised

I went down to the local hospital this morning and intended to download The Times before I left so I could read it while waiting - but I forgot - so being a mean so and so and being on a O2 PAYG tariff (4G was available) - I thought I would see if there was a wireless hot spot I could jump onto

The hospital wifi was there but I couldn't remember the login. However there was another wifi signal so I clicked on it and to my surprise it was unprotected so I connected immediately

OK I only downloaded a few MB so no real problem but that led me to think

Are there any routers where the wifi is unprotected by default or is it something the user needs to actively change

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Unsecure wifi - I was surprised

I rarely use the WiFi on my old plusnet Thomson TG585 v8 but when I do turn on the WiFi (via the web page) the encryption default is - Disabled with the two alternative selections of - Use WEP Encryption - Use WPA-PSK Encryption underneath.

And yes sometimes I forget to select Use WPA-PSK Encryption.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Sure i read somewhere tha Virgin Media routers   allow free hotspots ? so you can stand outside a house that has a Virgin Super hub Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Oooh better check mine, I am on VM just because Fibre wasn't available in my area 6 years when I moved in but is now.

I can't remember where I read this, and I am not sure if this is true or not, but don't BT and PlusNet routers allow people to use people's internet connection as hotspots (is it called Fon?).

Funny really, if you do it for free then that is wrong, but to pay a company to do exactly the same thing is fine Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Steer clear of unsecure WiFi.  It is sometimes used by hackers to trap the unwary. It is easily possible to record the traffic and fish out personal data at a later date.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

True, though possible I think but unlikely. But you never know.

I suppose you just have to be selective on what sites you browse, anything requiring input from the user, such as username/password, any personal information which could potentially be captured.

Also I don't know where I read this, and if it is true, but hackers capture your username/password for one site and user it for (common) others on the assumption your use the same username/password on multiple sites - which I guess many of us do.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/04/virgin-media-wifi-public-hotspots/

found this one

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

BT and Virgin's 'hotspots' aren't unsecure like a open network though.

You should at the very least use a VPN if you use public/open WiFi networks though