Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid for contract work

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unpaid for contract work

Not sure if anyone can help me.
Back in October I did one day of contract work through a company who provided umbrella services.
I've not been paid for the work and now the company's websites are down, their email server is off, their phone line is disconnected and the mobile number I have just goes to the answering service.
Its not a lot of money I'm owed thank God but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to try to get the money from them. I was sort of counting on that £300 for Christmas.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Unpaid for contract work

If they've gone into bankruptcy, then you need to find out who the administrators are.  You could try checking companies house http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/67d0c66de949a023c2dcf8075f8d7a2b/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo to see if they're dissolved (but it's sometimes not quite up to date)  The official reciver http://www.insolvency-service.co.uk/officemap.htm appoints the administrators, so they could probably help.
John
Community Veteran

I checked Companies House last night and they weren't shown as being dissolved or in administration or anything. The records were up to date as of September so its possible they've filed and its just not been updated.
I assume that I can email the OR office for the region they're based in and see if they're aware of anything going on?
Edited to add: I searched on the OR site and the company is not showing up there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You could try and  claim through the small claims court, think the max is £250.
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm
Its not £300, but at least something towards it.
Simple process there's a couple of pages to fill in.
I've resorted to the small claims court for a dispute over contract work, eventually was paid as the larger company didn't recon the costs of defending the case were cost effective.
Community Veteran

I've been told that I have to send a final demand letter giving them 7 days to pay in full and then if that doesn't produce anything I can go to the small claims court. This is not what I really needed right now
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: SteveA
a company who provided umbrella services.

Strange that they should have run into money problems in this weather.
\coat
Sorry Steve - couldn't resist.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Simon

Sorry Steve - couldn't resist.

Cheesy Grin
Community Veteran

I thought the Small Claims Court maximum was £5000 but it may have gone up.  It can take a few months to get through the system (which I realise, isn't what you want to hear), but the "letter before action" may be enough to get your debtor moving.
John
Community Veteran

Before you go down the small claims route (or at least before it starts costing money), make sure that they have the money to pay you. There is an old saying, "You can not get blood out of a stone."
Community Veteran

Its all so depressing. I know they should have the money because Balfour Beattie (whose office I was in to do the work) will have paid them ... specifically for my time.
Simon_M
Grafter

Unfortunately that money will have disappeared into the bottomless pit of their overdraft. Unless they were acting as your agent, there is no way of ring fencing that money & it'll get shared out around all the creditors - starting with the bank as preferential creditor, almost certainly.
Community Veteran

I know its pretty slim and I'm pretty angry about it all. I have a whole string of emails right through to Nov 21 when they said they were going to pay me in the next pay run. But they must have known by then that the shit had hit the fan...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: SteveA
Not sure if anyone can help me.
Back in October I did one day of contract work through a company who provided umbrella services.
I've not been paid for the work and now the company's websites are down, their email server is off, their phone line is disconnected and the mobile number I have just goes to the answering service.
Its not a lot of money I'm owed thank God but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to try to get the money from them. I was sort of counting on that £300 for Christmas.

It's quite usual for contractors to receive payment etc via an umbrella company, even though the work is actually done for a second company.
The two companies have a contract with each other,
but your contract is with the umbrella company.
If this is the case and the umbrella company is still a going concern, then they owe you the money.
Otherwise you are a creditor and (if you are lucky) you will eventually receive a proportion of the £300.
Have you tried going to the workplace and asking at nearby offices?

Community Veteran

Quote from: Taxisofevil

Have you tried going to the workplace and asking at nearby offices?

They're over in Whitney on Wye which is a bit of a hike.
I have found the person I was dealing with on Linked In - who is now working for a completely different company.
moreofthesame
Grafter

I did some work as a contractor for company "A" via an umbrella company (starts with the letter B) - there was some mix up over a cheque, who knows what really happened, I was owed £3000, like you got really angry. I contacted company B and after some chat had their lawers do the biz on A. It seems there is a procedure to chasing non-payers, it works on a 14 days basis, something like non reply within 14 days is seen as bad. It took many weeks if not months of chasing but eventually got a result.